Gas tank too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

78_Monte970

Apprentice
Jun 2, 2019
Colorado
My tank was leaking and I ordered a replacement from O’Reilly’s, said direct fit. Tried to install and the tank straps seem to be too short for it? Can I get longer straps that fit, or modify the tank in some way? Any help appreciated, thanks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you need to get the tank in the right place, probably has to move back. The filler tube will help to see if the tank is sitting right

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Couple things.

1) If you look at your old tank the stamping where the upper and lower half meet is crimped inwards as a result of the straps being tightened. That's part of it. Your new tank will have that flat part bend just like the old as the straps are tightened down.

2) another part is making sure it's nested in tight and properly centered. Look at the trunk floor without the tank in place and you can get an idea of where it's supposed to fit together by looking back at the top of the tank.

3) it's easier/better to put the horizontal bolts near the bumper into the strap loop first, then tighten the vertical bolts through the straps nearer the differential.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 5 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Couple things.

1) If you look at your old tank the stamping where the upper and lower half meet is crimped inwards as a result of the straps being tightened. That's part of it. Your new tank will have that flat part bend just like the old as the straps are tightened down.

2) another part is making sure it's nested in tight and properly centered. Look at the trunk floor without the tank in place and you can get an idea of where it's supposed to fit together by looking back at the top of the tank.

3) it's easier/better to put the horizontal bolts near the bumper into the strap loop first, then tighten the vertical bolts through the straps nearer the differential.
If you’re still having issues after that, get some longer bolts for the front side of the straps. Having ones nearly an inch longer than stock really helped me muscle mine in myself.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor