Gas tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

D123gt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2021
I had a thought why not build or get a tank built that just fits in the spare tire well and then use both tanks.

D123gt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2021
for most people something like that is cost prohibitive or just not worth the effort.
You could get a fuel cell the same size or close to and use it with the current gas tank and then you would have over a 20 gallon gas tank I would think.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
fuel tank from a 91-96 b-body wagon is what the el camino guys are using. it would require removal of the spare tire well along with additional fab work.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not to highjack this thread but has anyone found a tank for a wagon that will support stock ls fuel injection?
Why nut run a sump with an external pump properly mounted so as to not vibrate?

I'm sure you could fabricate something to work, with the original tank... maybe an inline fuel pump? But to further hijack my own thread, what bugs me is how there aren't any sending units/pickup tubes for wagons in the aftermarket.

The current tank is 18 gallons, correct? Larger than a sedan or coupe?

D123gt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2021
Why nut run a sump with an external pump properly mounted so as to not vibrate?

The current tank is 18 gallons, correct? Larger than a sedan or coupe?
That’s what I was looking for I would like a intake pump myself so I don’t hear it or feel it. I am unsure of the exact size of the tank.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
El Camino and wagons are different tanks.

I have the future plans to just fab a stainless of aluminum tank. Easy or cheap, probably not. You could always buy another tank from Spectra, cut the stock and the new up, weld together to make a deeper tank.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
El Camino and wagons are different tanks.

I have the future plans to just fab a stainless of aluminum tank. Easy or cheap, probably not. You could always buy another tank from Spectra, cut the stock and the new up, weld together to make a deeper tank.
Deeper isn't the issue. You don't want to go much deeper since it'll protrude too much under the bumper. You really want to go wider, or longer to either take up more of the width of the car (ie: into the spare tire tub) or more toward the front of the car (not really possible since the rear axle is right there). Only other option is to come up with some kind of insane system where you have a secondary tank that uses an electric pump on a trigger to refill the main tank when it gets past a certain point. So say for example, you put a spare tank in the spare tire tub with an electric fuel pump in it. When the main tank goes below say... 1/4 or so, that'll trigger the electric pump via the same kind of trigger that sets off your low alternator voltage light or something. That turns the pump on and refills the tank until it's above say... 1/2 tank.

But that's so complex I have no idea how you'd pull that off. You'd be better off putting the spare tank in the spare well, then running a line between them from the bottom of the spare tank to the bottom of the main tank and hope gravity does the rest, and it doesn't leak lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor