gauge black out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
I was pulling a few parts off of 79 Monte to use on malibu and to keep,sale, trade etc. I took insturment cluster off that someone had put about 4 to many screws in. Round gauges. Speedo gone. Clock still there. Kept plastic lens. Started to keep clock but it was missing stem...anyway I noticed only the fuel gauge had a needle. The other three "pods" were blacked out from behind. One was choke, one was temp, other was oil. When I took it apart it had black factory film behind it. Anyone seen anything like that before? Just thought it was odd.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Should be red when viewed against a light source, they're warning lamps...the standard cluster on cars not ordered with actual gauge package...not sure if Montes were equipped with sweep style speedos in the early years, but that round lamp cluster was the standard dash for Malibus in 83, possibly 82 as well.

Reactions: 1 user

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
I thought that may be it. Wasn't sure though. I took it with me if anyone wants it. Was just curious. Learn something new every day I guess.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Should be red when viewed against a light source, they're warning lamps...the standard cluster on cars not ordered with actual gauge package...not sure if Montes were equipped with sweep style speedos in the early years, but that round lamp cluster was the standard dash for Malibus in 83, possibly 82 as well.
'78-'81 Montes had round speedos regardless of idiot lights or guages, Malibus/El Caminos/Caballeros got round ones standard in '82.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
'78-'81 Montes had round speedos regardless of idiot lights or guages, Malibus/El Caminos/Caballeros got round ones standard in '82.

That's what I thought, just didn't want to state it as so, not being 100% on it

Thanks for verifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor