Gauge Cluster Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1985_mcss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 12, 2009
Just replaced my whole interior wiring harness due to some one splicing the heck out of it. everything is working except the gauge cluster. it is a rally pack cluster and i made sure that the connectors are in all the way. i don't know where to start to look since all my other electrical parts work. any help would be awesome.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
1985_mcss said:
Just replaced my whole interior wiring harness due to some one splicing the heck out of it. everything is working except the gauge cluster. it is a rally pack cluster and i made sure that the connectors are in all the way. i don't know where to start to look since all my other electrical parts work. any help would be awesome.
Was this a cluster swap? If so, the cluster may be the problem. If its original, do the lights work on the gauges? These rally pac clusters are very delicate and fail for several reasons. I suggest testing the cluster gauges with a jumper wire set and a 12volt battery. Or simply swap it for another one....good luck!

1985_mcss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 12, 2009
i guess you could call it a cluster swap. i bought the cluster off a member here and he stated it worked good. how would i go about testing the cluster?

Insubordination

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2012
Norway
You sure the donation wire harness also originally had a gauge cluster, and not the ordinary one? If not, you need to change the connectors around some to make it work.

1985_mcss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 12, 2009
Insubordination said:
You sure the donation wire harness also originally had a gauge cluster, and not the ordinary one? If not, you need to change the connectors around some to make it work.

just to make sure i checked that when i went to put the cluster in. all the connectors are in the right spot and secured in the cnnector on the harness. would it be worth having the custer looked at to see if it is bad?

Insubordination

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2012
Norway
1985_mcss said:
Insubordination said:

just to make sure i checked that when i went to put the cluster in. all the connectors are in the right spot and secured in the cnnector on the harness. would it be worth having the custer looked at to see if it is bad?

I find it hard to belive that the entire cluster (which consists of several gauges) is not working. It could be one essensial connection, like ground, that is off. Or maybe the printcard on the back isn't feeling fresh anymore. Those things are brittle. You could try testing the different conncectors with a multimeter to rule out any faults in the wiring on its way to the cluster, first.

1985_mcss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 12, 2009
just checked today to see if i was getting power at all to the wireing. That would be a no. the only power at all is the power coming from the tach wiring. why am i not getting any power to the wiring?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Probably a fuse marked "gauges".

1985_mcss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 12, 2009
that was my next question if there was a fuse or anything that would cause that. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor