gauge cluster wiring help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
Hello guys, I am planning to purchase a Monte Carlo cluster that does not have tach. Instead it has a clock (I prefer having a tach but there hard to find). My question is, do you still need to re wire the plug with this type of cluster? If so, is there some kind of doc how to do this? Have you done it? How hard is it?

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
Here is the cluster that I was referring to. Is it possible to substitute the clock for a tach?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 941

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
That looks like a pic of one of the clusters I sold lol.....here's the back side...

qqECM2.jpg

Here is the back side of a cluster with tach...in 78-85 the optional tach had a clock...that is the clock workings sticking out the back of the bracket. You'll see that the printed circuit board (PCB) is the same for both full gauges with clock or with tach.

TLKnQx.jpg

You'll need the tach and tach bracket of course...here's a closer pic of the 78-85 tach bracket...

KFDViT.jpg

You would unbolt the clock and bracket and bolt in the tach and bracket...then run a wire out to the tach terminal on the distributor. The tach wire is white and located in pin 17 of a full gauge cluster connection..

sdMl3i.jpg

Hope this helps some...below is a link on how to swap from warning lights to full gauges..

http://www.maliburacing.com/gauge_conversion.html

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
So your saying that the cluster that has the clock doesn't have the correct bracket for tach?

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
Is there a difference between 6 and the 8 cylinder sending unit ? When purchasing should I buy the parts for a Monte Carlo or a Malibu? I ask because the cluster came out of a Monte.

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
The white wire as you mentioned comes from the tach to connection 17. If my existing wiring doesn't have the whit cable I would need to add one,but how do I connect it to the wire harness? Where can I get the hardware to insert it to the terminals?

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
There is a little tab on the connector end of the wire...insert a small flat screwdriver and press the tab to release the wire. If you don't have the wire once you have it you would just slip it into the harness connection making sure the tab is out to hold it in place securely. If you don't have a white wire I have a few here...

Me6GD6.jpg
prpOsu.jpg

From this wire you really should have the tach filter harness...which connects to the white wire and then to the tach terminal on the distributor. I've heard of people not running the filter but you could have erratic tach operation.

klnUXu.jpg

I'm not sure what I've got for tach filter harnesses...I may have something here.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

79VS86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2019
South
Im currently looking for the same pin out even tho i have a 5.3 fuel injected with pcm red and blue connection in a 79 Monte Carlo. Im doing one heck of experiment

Attachments

• 1557346834814262133291.jpg
    1557346834814262133291.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 2,295
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor