Gauge Cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

83hrstolds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2018
Hello, I took apart my gauge cluster today as my tachometer was reading off. This was because the little orange clip that bridges the V8 contact points together on the back of it was broken. Anyone know where i can find another one of these clips? Secondly, I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced their gauge cluster light bulbs with brighter ones? If so, what bulb did you use?

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Just get rid of the clip and solder a small jumper wire across the correct terminals.

Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Cannot help with the Tach jumper but I have recently upgraded the dash lights in both my 79 Monte Carlo and 88 Super Sport with LED's. The difference is worth the time and money. The 79 also underwent a change to gauges from warning lights.
Went from:

P1012094.JPG P1012137.JPG

To:
P1012135.JPG P1012154.JPG

Picked the bulbs up through Super Bright LED's. While the bulbs were pricey they are dimmable and have a 3 year warranty.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...d-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/206/919/

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Can't recall specifically, but I believe it was 1986 and up tachs already came soldered. Definitely by 1987 GM soldered them. Took them a while to figure out that little clip was a waste.

83hrstolds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2018
Thank you for your suggestions, my car is an 83 so it came with the plastic clip, I soldered the tach and it works perfectly now. I also placed an order for a few of those LED lights just to use a better back lighting. Hope the turn out as nice as yours!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor