Gauge cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2019
Hi Everyone,
My 78 cutlass gauge cluster is having issues I replaced my oil pressure and temp gauges with new autometer gauges and put them in a pillar pod they work great but my voltage and gas gauges are acting up dont really know how much gas I have so I'm looking to replace the cluster.My question is has anyone built there own cluster if so how did you build yours and what materials did you use please post pics if avalible . Thanks

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
pull the cluster and clean the copper connections where the harness plugs in to the cluster. I have shimmed behind the circuit board with masking tape to tighten up the connection. be careful copper is very thin

Scott78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2019
pull the cluster and clean the copper connections where the harness plugs in to the cluster. I have shimmed behind the circuit board with masking tape to tighten up the connection. be careful copper is very thin
Hi Hoffa65

I've tried to get that cluster out before with no success I put a crack in my dash and don't want to do that again is there a easy way to take out the cluster?

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
Cluster should be easy to remove.
Pull head light switch to on position, look behind knob there is a tab, pull tab towards you/knob and pull knob off switch, remove trim insert , pulls off. Remove center trim pulls off.
Remove 4 lower surround screws 7mm, and 4 (i think upper surround screws. Remove surround.
Cluster has four 7 mm screws. Trick is the speedo cable, if you have CC disconnect it at the servo and push it thru firewall as you are pulling cluster out. There is a clip on the back holding speedo cable to cluster push tab on clip and pull cluster off cable, see pics
20190909_234328.jpg
20190909_233747.jpg
20190909_233741.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor