Gauge panel removal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackonblack

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2017
I am removing the gauges in order to clean it up and get a better contact for the tach, which hasn’t been reading correctly.

My classic g body garage YouTube video that inspired me to take this on failed to mention the cable at the bottom... it’s for the shifter indication. I probably stretched a little too much before I figured it out. When I reconnect how do I calibrate it to line up properly?

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The speedometer is held in by three screws from the front. The screw in your photo might be the one that attaches the cable bracket retaining ring. To take it out, you may have to pull all the bulb holders -take the time to change all the bulbs for fresh ones.

Attachments

• 200 kmh speedo.JPG
    200 kmh speedo.JPG
    338 KB · Views: 98

blackonblack

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2017
Is there a way to repair the trip Meter plunger?

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I am removing the gauges in order to clean it up and get a better contact for the tach, which hasn’t been reading correctly.

My classic g body garage YouTube video that inspired me to take this on failed to mention the cable at the bottom... it’s for the shifter indication. I probably stretched a little too much before I figured it out. When I reconnect how do I calibrate it to line up properly?

Just clip it back on where the selector indicates the correct gear you're in.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

blackonblack

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2017
Thanks. Job complete. Re-rigging the shift selector was a bit of a pain in the *ss.

This was a worthwhile project. I changed all the bulbs, cleaned the contacts, used headlight restorer on the lens, and now my voltmeter no longer reads low, and the tach works as it should.

Attachments

• 7A084AB1-26E4-4992-9D41-5F8BA66CBAFF.png
    7A084AB1-26E4-4992-9D41-5F8BA66CBAFF.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor