Gbody LS Swap Info

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I will give it a try but the are almost an inch off is therethat much give?
Not sure if these would make any difference. Via the PM this is what I meant.
Screenshot_20190302-175616.png

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Let us know if/how it worked out. I used that trick several times and was surprised how much I could get the rubber inserts to move. It helped to have some of the engine weight supported so I was not lifting the motor as well as displacing the rubber inserts. It has always worked for me on SBCs, but I was not swapping in an LS.

1981 Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2019
Let us know if/how it worked out. I used that trick several times and was surprised how much I could get the rubber inserts to move. It helped to have some of the engine weight supported so I was not lifting the motor as well as displacing the rubber inserts. It has always worked for me on SBCs, but I was not swapping in an LS.
I will try your method ifnot I'm going to try the different mounts

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Maybe the adapter plates are on the wrong sides of the block? Some are drilled both ways and could be part of the issue.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Alrighty, I wanted to add in some coolant hose info for anybody that might need it. Fwiw, my setup is an LS1 water pump with a Champion LS dual pass radiator with inlet/outlet on the passenger side.
I went to my favorite Oreilly where the guys know me by name...so I just meandered to the radiator hoses. After comparing my coat hanger I came up with the following:

Upper hose PN: Gates 23460. It fits perfect for this configuration.

Lower hose PN: Gates 21615. I had to add a silicone coolant adapter to the thermostat housing to fill the 1/8" void to the radiator hose. However, after I trimmed a few inches off it fits great!!! It does touch the frame a tad, but nothing concerning.
Once I get this phone tweaked I'll edit with pics.

Hope this helps guys, cheers!

Reactions: 2 users

1981 Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2019
So this is what I ended up doing. Just bent the top up over the frame and bolted it
MVIMG_20190316_151603361.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

BobinHSV

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
The mounts are designed to fit with the frame mounts bolted down, then lower the clamshell over them and insert bolt. If you install like you have done, you will never be able to remove the clamshell bolt and reinstall it. If the frame mounts are mounted correctly, the clamshell will line up with the proper rubber mount. It appears that the frame mounts are a long way from the proper position on the crossmember. It also looks like the clamshell is mounted about an inch forward of the original mount location on a traditional SBC engine. Your adapter may have several mount locations, fore and aft for the clamshell.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
For those using a dual pass, both inlets on the passenger side with a pickup water pump. I used the griffin 31*19 radiator.

Lower hose- 88ish e150 ford van with the 300 I6

Top hose- G body 3.8 buick v6 hose with about 6" cut off each side.

1553026630735.png

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
For those using a dual pass, both inlets on the passenger side with a pickup water pump. I used the griffin 31*19 radiator.

Lower hose- 88ish e150 ford van with the 300 I6

Top hose- G body 3.8 buick v6 hose with about 6" cut off each side.

View attachment 108957
Decent! I just did this last week, but with an LS1 water pump. I might change the lower hose, but for now it's good...
20190314_205613.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor