Gbody Parts REM 9 piece trunk kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
So I took the plunge and purchased the trunk kit from Gbodyparts.com https://gbodyparts.com/piece-gbody-trunk-carpet-p-144.html?osCsid=d11d242f824a3a42eb020ba229319bb8 for my 87 442.

There weren't many reviews or how to's or even reports on others who purchased this. Here is my how to for installation and thoughts.

I ordered the burgundy color since my car is burgundy with burgundy interior. It took 2 Months from ordering to getting it in my hands. They are made to order so be patient.

Below is what I used to stick everything in place. The double sided scotch carpet tape is super sticky, but doesn't stick to the carpet well. The Velcro holds the carpet well, but with how rough the trunk surfaces are, I combined the two. First lay down the carpet tape, then put the Velcro on the carpet tape. That will keep the Velcro from coming up if you have to take the carpet out. The Velcro is wide, and for this you are only using the "fingers" side. I cut it down the middle as shown to give me twice the amount.

IMG_3136.JPG IMG_3138.JPG IMG_3135.JPG IMG_3139.JPG

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
So the second step is to orient the first piece, which I did the drivers side wheel well cover. The pieces are all labeled and you only get 1 piece of paper showing each piece and what it is (in case the label comes off the piece of carpet). That's it for instructions. Nothing else. So I sat in the trunk flipping the piece around and stuffing it here and there to figure out how its supposed to sit. As you can see in the pics, if you orientate it as shown, and realize the one part is supposed to cover the inner trunk hinge, the rest makes sense. Now I used the same method on both inner truck hinge sides with the carpet tape and the Velcro as shown above.
IMG_3129.JPG IMG_3130.JPG IMG_3133.JPG

Last edited:

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Next was the passenger side cover. Same situation. No instructions and takes a bit of moving it around to figure out how its placed. Below is how you should orientate it. I also cut a slit to get the jack mount bolt to stick through. Once you get it in there and move it around it makes sense. And last pic is with the original jack back in place.

IMG_3134.JPG IMG_3141.JPG IMG_3142.JPG

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Ok, at this point, I put the bottom carpet in place next as all the other pieces lay over it. And yes, I left the original black carpet in place to give a bit more padding.
IMG_3140.JPG IMG_3143.JPG IMG_3145.JPG

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Next piece is the tail light backing. This in my mind is the worst piece of the kit. I cant blame them, as it has so many contours that there is no way to produce it without a molding heat press to do it. It is a PITA though to get to sit right. And even after, I wasn't happy with the results. Ill keep messing with it.

I put the carpet tape down, then the Velcro in various flat spots and then slit the middle so a "tongue" would slide up into the latch bracket. Also of note - DO Not punch out the holes that are die cut. Im thinking they are supposed to use the backup light "nuts" to secure the carpet in place, but the holes do not match up. I used one side of the carpet tape to tape them in place as shown below so they don't fall out.
IMG_3146.JPG IMG_3145.JPG

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Once that is in place, I put the spare tire back in and secured. NOTE, I do not believe a full size spare will fit under the tire cover so if you have a full size spare, you might not be able to use this piece. Maybe if modified. I don't have a full size spare to try it with.
IMG_3147.JPG

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
The tire cover, first slide the top into place, then push it down into place, bending the bottom flap so it goes into the tire well.
IMG_3148.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
The drivers side piece, the front part into the wheel well area while maneuvering the top into place, then push the bottom into place (sort of slide it against the quarter panel).
IMG_3153.JPG

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
I also purchased the trunk lid under side cover. I used only Velcro this time, no carpet tape. I test fit the piece first to see where I would be putting the velcro. I secured both parts of the Velcro to the trunk lid in marked locations, then peeled the backing off the exposed top part of the Velcro. Take the carpet (it has a cardboard backing for rigidity), climb into the trunk and slowly maneuver into place. I used my hands on the left and right side as a guide against the ribs of the outside of the trunk where the hinge bolts to make sure it was even. Then pushed into place.

IMG_3152.JPG

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
So my thoughts are this. For 279 dollars, I felt that its a good kit for the price. Not perfect but a pretty well thought out kit that suited my wants. It looks good, definitely dresses up the trunk, wasn't a 500-700 custom job and I didn't have to create one myself. Im happy with it.
IMG_3156.JPG IMG_3152.JPG

Reactions: 17 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor