GBODY Steering box upgrade- you can do this

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKRUZIN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2012
Erie, PA
This is what you need to upgrade a GBODY with the 605 steering box as standard equipment

I have a 1981 Chevrolet Malibu Classic coupe with the 605 "old leaky" box

I purchased a reman box from rockauto.com

part# 276550 A-1 Cardone unit

this is the same part as the Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, 1982-1992 Camaro Z28 , and Buick Grand National. if you want to cross reference.

it has 3 mount bolts to frame just like 605 box they are all in the same location and same thread ect.
price was $109.00 US before shipping

the power steering lines all bolt up without issue and are all in the same location as the 605 box.

the issue you will have will effect you if you had a 605 box or 700-800 box as standard equipment, if you have a 700-800 box it's plug and play
if you had a 605 box you have to change out the pitman arm- like I did.
I found one online at

http://southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=24532

price was $59.00 US before shipping
this part fits perfectly and is the correct one with correct opening to box and geometry for suspension. southwest speed ships fast and I found the part great quality

everything else is easy and then you have a new box that does not leak , has a warranty and has much better steering feel

I'll give some feedback after I get my Transmission put back together and let you know how it feels!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
There was a hydraulic line end change in 1980. Earlier boxes used an inverted flare connection, later use the O ring style.

Just mentioning it so 78/79 folk will be aware they will need new lines to go with the later box.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
they don't mention the ratio of the box...it's also listed for cars that did not come with the quick ratio box..

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Most of our cars had the "slow ratio" box. Not sure about the SS montes. The high end F bodies, T/A and Z28 had the quick ratio box. I swapped one in and went from 3+ turns lock to lock down to 2.5 or so.

These old Saginaw recirculating ball steering boxes last like 500,000 miles or something, I don't think you'd need a reman one, plus the shipping has got to be sky high, they weigh a ton.

just my 0.02

trocutlass63

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
Metro Detroit
If I'm not mistaken didn't the quick ratio box come on F41 cars? At least mine did.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
trocutlass63 said:
If I'm not mistaken didn't the quick ratio box come on F41 cars? At least mine did.
I think so....

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
78-79 owners also need to change the fitting at the back of the pump if they're keeping it.

The 12.7:1 box in the Monte Carlo SS (YA stamping) is the same as the XH in the 16" wheel F-bodies, except for internal stops. The external stops built into the stock control arms is more desirable than internal stops which if hit enough, can damage the box seals.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor