GBodyparts Headliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetrod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
In my opinion, the Gbodyparts.com sunroof ABS backed headliner is the biggest piece of trash I’ve ever come across. It is bent out of shape, won’t conform, when I try to make it fit around the sunroof it bends the front most section of the backing board down and causes the front windshield trim to pop out of place. I have one unbroken spare tab left, and I’m about to gorilla glue this b*tch into place using vices and a tension support rod and hope for the best. Now I’m noticing there is a dip in the headliner behind the sunroof, and I’ll have to glue that crap up too. Not only that, the material has already started separating from the plastic board all around the sunroof and I am afraid of having to do this job again. I will have to use some headliner spray adhesive and hope for the best.
Not my first headliner install. Very experienced mechanic and have done several full and partial vehicle restorations, but I am open to the idea that maybe I’m doing something wrong. I am confident I have lined this thing up to the best of my abilities, but it just won’t cooperate. Anyone have suggestions or tips?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
  • Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I did a right up on this at least five years ago and could not agree with you more. That thing is a big turd. There is a reason OEM suppliers don’t use ABS as a headliner substrate. Under high heat it’s not dimensionally stable and it weighs a ton. If your factory headliner is not busted up into a gazillion pieces, the nice lightweight substrate from the factory can be reused. Some patience is required but you can scrape the old foam off of the original substrate without damaging it. I’d send that POS back. Your GN deserves better.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i agree^^those headliner boards have a tendency to creep down when it gets hot.a saving grace is if you have a dome light in the center it'll help.in the case of a pick up there's no center light to keep it a float. I searched high and low for a busted oe one to glass it back together.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You can simulate the heat from the sun by using a cheap aluminum parabolic lamp.

Bigger problem is its a pos repop, those plastic liners pretty much all have the issues you describe to some degree or another.

At one point on one board or another I did some writeups on repairing the factory style board using a mixture of resin, tape, and filler. Then you just 3m spray adhesive the foam backed fabric and are good to go for a long time into the future. Gives a much more rigid base with the bonus of heat insulation, but, I understand there are people who throw their old board away without knowing better.

Reactions: 1 user

streetrod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Toronto
I did a right up on this at least five years ago and could not agree with you more. That thing is a big turd. There is a reason OEM suppliers don’t use ABS as a headliner substrate. Under high heat it’s not dimensionally stable and it weighs a ton. If your factory headliner is not busted up into a gazillion pieces, the nice lightweight substrate from the factory can be reused. Some patience is required but you can scrape the old foam off of the original substrate without damaging it. I’d send that POS back. Your GN deserves better.
I appreciate the feedback guys. This is a friends/customers car that I helped him buy, and it came without the factory board. And it’s a factory sunroof car which makes this process even more difficult as I had no idea how it all went back together.
We ordered most of the repair/restoration items from Gbodyparts and they seemed to be the only ones offering a board/headliner setup for the factory sunroof cars. But my God has this been a nightmare!!!! I’ve done a lot of work to this car, and I’ve left the finishing of the headliner for pretty much last as it was stressing me out and made me feel like a bit of an idiot..... like “how could I not figure this out?!?!?”. I just hope this Gorilla Glue I picked up today holds up. I got a bunch of clamps and whatnot to try and secure the headliner while the adhesive bonds and cures.
Say a prayer for me y’all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor