GBP 3 Gauge A Pillar Pod Installation and thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balzak

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2020
Longview, TX
Since most of my dummy lights aren't working correctly, I opted to install some real gauges. I purchased the gbodyparts three gauge A pillar pod and when I received it, I gotta say, it was pretty nice, heck they even color matched it to the interior of the car. Once the installation took place the pretty nice went out the window. I am an Auto-meter fan so I threw in some gauges and replaced the existing light for LED's. There is no room in the pod to install the gauge mount on the backside but the fit of the gauges is so tight that I think it is fine. When I bought this I was a little naive, as I thought it would take the place of the original A pillar cover but it does not, you use it in conjunction with the pod pillar and I think that is where the problems come in. You can see that by every place there is a gauge the plastic bows out and does not lay flat on the driver side door side and you can see that at the top of the pillar the gap is just horrible. If you try to fit the pod pillar under the piece that holds your headliner up, it sticks out more than a half of an inch and there is no cutting that side down. I am happy that it came color matched but I am unhappy with the fit of the unit. Not bashing anyone, just a look at my experience with the unit. On the bright side I can now see what is going on with the health of the motor.

IMG_0585x1024.JPG
IMG_0589x1024.JPG
IMG_0588x1024.JPG
IMG_0590x1024.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought one of those years ago and sent it back, I didn't like that it was flimsy and there is no finished edge that wraps around to where the door seal is like the factory pillar so I ended up buying a 2 gauge pod and mounting it to my original pillar.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I’ve never seen one that went over top of the original plastic. No wonder the gauges don’t fit. Mine all went together fine.

Balzak

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2020
Longview, TX
Since it didn't have that rolled edge that wraps around where the door seal is, it just looked awful without mounting it over top of the original. The gaps, mounting it that way, were worse than the ones that I have now. This comes with no instructions and I watched a video from another manufacturer and made some assumptions. Maybe that was incorrect.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Mine had somewhat of a gap. I painted the pillar with the same color and it’s only noticeable if you are looking for it.

Balzak

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2020
Longview, TX
Without going over the original pillar cover the gap was enormous and you could see all the internal wiring when you opened the door. 500/600 do you have a photo of what your gap looks like? Just trying to see if there is something else that I can do to make it look a little better.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I wanted one of those for my wagon but its not designed for those pillars. I wound up doing this. I think it looks pretty good.

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Balzak

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2020
Longview, TX
That is what I did in my Chevelle and if I had it to do over again, I would do it that way. Much cleaner and more compact.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
I bought one of those from GBP years ago.. I have to say the fit and finish is garbage..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor