gear box aknocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobM

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2016
Ozone Park Kid
Been noticing lately the steering little odd or loose. I found the problem, I think. If I unlock the steering wheel and go under the hood and twist the steering shaft by hand theres a knocking noise coming from the gear box. Think I'm just going to change it or is there something I'm over looking or is there an easy fix ?

RobM

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2016
Ozone Park Kid
Thanks for the info and the knock is coming from the gear box and no where else and it's a stock gear box that I'm guessing. What's the way to tell the difference in gear boxes?

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Thanks for the info and the knock is coming from the gear box and no where else and it's a stock gear box that I'm guessing. What's the way to tell the difference in gear boxes?
There were stickers on the front cover/end of them like brake boosters with two letters but most are long gone. G bodies came with 3 I believe 605 (undesireable but the pitman arm can be use for manual swaps as they both share the small output shaft) Non f41 slow ratio 700/800 series, and f41 700/800 series 12.7 ratio boxes. The f41 bars under the front of the frame would be a good indicator, but I wouldnt want a used box myself. I dont think any G bodies came with manual boxes but Ive been wrong before.

A lot of Chevelle guys seem to like the cherokee boxes, but there are a TON of aftermarket options.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Speaking of Chevelles, a old buddy of mine had knocking at the steering box of his '69 & it ended up beingcaused by the rotten frame letting the box get loose.

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
You can adjust the slop in your gearbox. A knock is not normal so it could be shot (beyond adjustment). Verify that the knock isn't coming from something else before doing anything.
If it is a quick ratio box then I would rebuild it....

the adjustment in this video is called the over the center adjustment, it is not the proper way to remove the play in the box. the end play on the input shaft needs to be removed first and then the over the center adjustment is done with an inch pounds torque wrench.
This process in the video will quickly trash the box as stated in the video

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor