MONTE CARLO GEAR RATIOS... Huh?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is a nice engine but I would change the TH200 transmission as soon as possible so it does not leave you stranded some day soon. The TH 200 doesn't have a good reputation for lasting behind a 305 with a lot less hp and torque that you have now.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
looks like the TV cable is completely pulled out of the housing in one picture. You can see the little grooves on the top that should be in the housing under the detent push-button. I would be willing to bet the HVAC vacuum ball is melted as it looks like its sitting on the header ( PS right in front of the heater box ). I melted 2 before I got wise and mounted it to the inner fender away from the heat.

All in all it looks complete and with some TLC should be a great cruiser. A cam swap ,roller tip rockers, and better push rods will get you some more HP once the trans is sorted

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That is a nice engine but I would change the TH200 transmission as soon as possible so it does not leave you stranded some day soon. The TH 200 doesn't have a good reputation for lasting behind a 305 with a lot less hp and torque that you have now.
Steve, is it a TH200 or is it a TH200-4R?

I agree with the others. That engine should have plenty of power for the car. Much more than 300HP and you really need to start thinking about beefing up the chassis. The TV cable is the first thing to address. How does the transmission fluid look and smell?

Beyond that getting the car to run the best it can (tune-up/tuning as necessary) would be my approach. Then as others have said, reassess how its running and what you want from it.

You can check the gear ratio in the rear axle (unscientifically) by putting it on stands, putting the transmission in neutral and watching how many revolutions the driveshaft makes for each revolution of the rear tire. Not perfectly accurate but you should be able to tell if it takes 3-3/4 turns of the driveshaft to turn the rear wheels one revolution, then you have a 3.73 rear.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I has METRIC on the pan so it's a TH200
In that case my recommendation is to jettison the TH200 for a performance-oriented built 200-4R, but I understand the OP doesn't want to remove the transmission, so I would get that TV cable working and go from there.

• Agree

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Hmmm. If I was in the US and on the West Coast I am sure Art Carr would be getting a call from me. ( cpttransmission ). Heard nothing but good things.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I thought my 200-4R pan said "metric" on the bottom of it. I don't know what other car I have that would say that, and I know I have read that crawling under one of them.

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
First things first. I am gonna fix or replace the TV cable.

Anyone have any other observations of the pics I sent? All feedback is greatly appreciated!

What would be the ideal transmission to have with this engine? I want to have the power off the line and still be able to cruise on a regular. I want the power there if I need it or just have an itch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor