MONTE CARLO GEAR RATIOS... Huh?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
First things first. I am gonna fix or replace the TV cable.

Anyone have any other observations of the pics I sent? All feedback is greatly appreciated!

What would be the ideal transmission to have with this engine? I want to have the power off the line and still be able to cruise on a regular. I want the power there if I need it or just have an itch...

The Transmission you currently have is the ideal transmission for your set up. Fix the TV cable and you will love it. Lots of options for good Torque converters, too. If you need a little more converter, a Factory GN converter would work pretty good.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reactions: 1 user

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
Put a new Holley bracket on the carb to hold the TV and gas cable. Took it for a drive and tried to adjust the new TV cable - shifts hard and on the freeway it doesnt want to shift into overdrive... I have never adjusted a TV cable so I most likely didnt do it right... Any suggestions anyone can offer that I should try before I find a shop to go to...

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Put a new Holley bracket on the carb to hold the TV and gas cable. Took it for a drive and tried to adjust the new TV cable - shifts hard and on the freeway it doesnt want to shift into overdrive... I have never adjusted a TV cable so I most likely didnt do it right... Any suggestions anyone can offer that I should try before I find a shop to go to...

Take a Picture of the TV cable (from the clip back to the ball on the adjuster) 1) with the the Throttle at WOT throttle and 2) with the throttle at idle. Then, measure the distance of the travel where the cable clips on from idle to WOT. and post that dimension.

Seeing pictures/dimensions of what you currently have should get you fixed up pretty quick.

Reactions: 1 users

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
Take a Picture of the TV cable (from the clip back to the ball on the adjuster) 1) with the the Throttle at WOT throttle and 2) with the throttle at idle. Then, measure the distance of the travel where the cable clips on from idle to WOT. and post that dimension.

Seeing pictures/dimensions of what you currently have should get you fixed up pretty quick.

Posted pictures - please let me know if the pics are enough to help me get this TV cable adjusted.

Last edited:

MTP-Madmat

Apprentice
Feb 27, 2018
The piece with the teeth should be inside the adjustment housing. The TV cable should be tight as a guitar string at WOT so you can’t pull it any further. It should have a bit of tension at idle that way it pulls through the whole sweep

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
So I have done that - put the piece with the teeth back into the housing by pressing the button. When the piece with the teeth is in the housing I cant pull the throttle wide open. When it sits as seen in the pics I can pull the throttle wide open. As seen in the pics it works as you all described - a bit of tension at idle and guitar string tense wide open... Could the transmission be shot already???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor