MONTE CARLO GEAR RATIOS... Huh?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The bracket has to come forward until WOT its tight, but it is still in the housing, preferably with the slider pushed more than halfway in.

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
The bracket has to come forward until WOT its tight, but it is still in the housing, preferably with the slider pushed more than halfway in.

It seems to me that no matter if the part with the teeth is in the housing or not the cable inside the black sleeve is the same length either way right?
Could there be an issue with the transmission? Could there be a problem with the part in the transmission that the TV cable pulls? I dont know how long the car has had the bad cable before I replaced it. I have only driven the car 4 times since I bought it in November - one of those times was to drive it home after the purchase. I feel like the transmission is the problem. Can I replace the transmission without pulling the engine?

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The Arm you are using on the Throttle appears to have too much throw for a 200-4R. The Ball stud needs to be mounted higher.

You need need Something more like this.

And no the the slider just can't flop around outside of the bracket, It has to not move during operation. There is "WOT", part throttle "Cruising" and "idle" settings and you currently only have WOT and idle, but your "cruising" setting has the trans thinking "idle".

Here is Detailed infor with pictures

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
I am going to keep at it! Thank you for the links - the more info I have the better. The last link you sent provided the best explanation I have read so far.

Seems to me these overdrive transmissions are a pain in the @$$... I am going to figure this out - but I want to start looking at replacing the transmission with something less touchy. I have read some good things about the TH350 - can anyone offer some feedback on that transmission with my setup?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
200 4R are not touchy transmissions, with the proper set up it's easy to set the TV cable and that's all you have to do besides making sure there is fluid in the transmission.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

The Last Don

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2017
Seattle, WA
200 4R are not touchy transmissions, with the proper set up it's easy to set the TV cable and that's all you have to do besides making sure there is fluid in the transmission.

I am gonna figure this out! I am determined to get this to work! Who knows - once it works I may be super happy with the performance.

Thank you all for your help. Your knowledge and experience is priceless for a rookie like me.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I strongly recommend against taking overdrive away from the car. Turning 3000 RPM at 60 MPH does not make the car more enjoyable. Stay with it. You will get it working. A 300+ HP 350 with a 200-4R and a 3.73 rear gear should be a great combination. You just need it to work right.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Trust me, you are definitely going to want the OD transmission, especially if you like to do any freeway driving. I still have a TH350 in my car with 3.08 "highway" gears and at 80 mph @ 3000 + rpm. it's still nerve wracking. I can't wait to put overdrive in.
I like the TH350 trans, but not on the highway.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor