Get your airbags checked

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Posting this here since we don't really have an off-topic section and we all have non-G cars in our families. Mods are free to move it if they feel there's a better place for it.
I've been working with Honda recently as part of their recall effort. They really, really want to get the Takata inflators off the streets. If you've recieved a mailer please make an appointment to have them replaced. If you have had a mobile team knock on your door or leave a card please allow them the do the repair. They're equipped to do it on the spot, in your driveway. They'll keep coming back until you do.
I just got back from a week in Puerto Rico where they held a repair-a-thon in a vacant lot. We replaced 1700 inflators in 5 days.
20180206_094551.jpg
20180206_090807.jpg

Next week I'll be in the Portland area with a mobile team going door to door and repairing on the spot. Over the next few months I'll be bouncing from Portland to Seattle to Hawaii doing the same. Most major domestic markets are doing this and the jiffy-lube style drive-thru repairs are being done in export markets.
The Takata recall affects over 30 manufactures so it's not just Honda's problem, but they are definately being the most aggressive in their efforts to make it right.
More here https://www.nhtsa.gov/recall-spotlight/takata-air-bags .
You can enter any car's VIN here to see if it's affected https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls .

Hurry up and get your cars fixed so I can go home and see my family again

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
GM already sent me my notice that I have a set of quality air bags in my '08 Silverado over a year & half ago. They said its "safe" to drive. But I'm not worried, my seat sensor is bad so my system isn't working...for now. I still want to buy stock in Takata so I something else of theirs thats worthless.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Haha, it's a pretty big island. Their estimation was that we only did around 30% of the Hondas in that immediate area. Honda will probably do a few more events like this over the next couple years on PR. They have to get them all sooner or later. Every Takata inflator needs to be accounted for and replaced, even if the car is parked in the back yard and not running.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
About a year ago I received a notification with regards to the recall for my drivers side airbag in my DD. I had it replaced by a local dealer and was surprised that they didn't replace the passenger airbag. The recall notice only listed the drivers airbag for some reason. After visiting the url that you have listed, I noticed that there is also a recall for the passenger airbag but I haven't received anything in the mail yet?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You will eventually. Part of that was parts availability early on. Not a problem any more though. The second reason is that there are tiers of cars affected. Alphas are the most likely to be dangerous, then betas, and so on. They just released the beta list but eventually every single Takata needs to be replaced and they were being installed up until the 2016 model year so there are millions of them out there
You certainly don't need to wait. If your car is on the list just call your dealer and make an appointment. They'll be glad to get it crossed off the list.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
You will eventually. Part of that was parts availability early on. Not a problem any more though. The second reason is that there are tiers of cars affected. Alphas are the most likely to be dangerous, then betas, and so on. They just released the beta list but eventually every single Takata needs to be replaced and they were being installed up until the 2016 model year so there are millions of them out there
You certainly don't need to wait. If your car is on the list just call your dealer and make an appointment. They'll be glad to get it crossed off the list.
Cool -- thx for the info!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Guys, for the record, I don't work directly for Honda so there's nothing here for me to gain, but I've seen some stuff over the last few weeks. It's a shame that people have been hurt and killed so far. Bigger shame if it happens to anyone else since its completely avoidable.
A quick Google image search for "Takata airbag injury" or "Takata airbag damage" turns up some ugly stuff.
FWIW, the propellant used is ammonium nitrate. Ring any bells? Shrapnel isn't the only concern here. Burns aren't uncommon and fireballs can reach the back seat -- where your kids ride.

• Informative

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
The following may sound like a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. I don't really understand the benefits of an airbag. If a car is involved in a crash and the occupants are wearing seat belts, I'm thinking that the seat belts should help. During any crash, shouldn't the occupants (w/ seat belts) decelerate with the car thus reducing injuries? How does the airbag help in this case? Again, I know it's a stupid question.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Not a stupid question at all but I'm not an engineer so I'm probably not qualified to answer. However, I have been in an accident (60mph vs. power pole) where the airbag deployed. Can't definitively say that it saved my life but I got out of the car andc walked away. The way I see it, every bit of extra cushion helps. Even with a seat belt, there is still a lot of inertia weight in the head and limbs. Having that cushion might minimise contact with hard surfaces, reduce neck injury, or shield your face from broken glass.
Every accident is different so it's not a black and white answer. Just my .02 worth.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor