Getro powder coating chronicles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
If any of you guys have seen my GP build thread you've probably seen me powder coating a few things here and there. Well anyway....to make a long story short, I picked up a cheap HF powder coating gun and a free toaster oven months ago. I did some brackets & pulleys and they turned out decent.

A few days ago I got a $25 electric stove from CL, spent another $57 on running a 50A breaker, 220V outlet, some EMT conduit and #6 wire to get it up & running in the garage. The oven only pulls 13A so I'm good to go.

I wanted to be able to do some bigger things so I experimented on a beat up valve cover and a Buick 350 intake. I'm going to located a wheel before long and see how that turns out. I'm pretty impressed with the intake. It looks WAAAY better in person.

upload077.jpg

upload078.jpg

upload075.jpg

upload076.jpg

upload079.jpg

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
wow that looks nice!

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Here's a few better pics. I'll probably hit it one more time since there's a couple of imperfections and I'll clean up the carb mounting surface too. But overall I'm pretty pleased with the results.

upload083.jpg

upload081.jpg

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Nice!!! You ever think about doing this on the side for some extra cash? If so I have a small job for ya :mrgreen:

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
-83MONTESS- said:
Nice!!! You ever think about doing this on the side for some extra cash? If so I have a small job for ya :mrgreen:

I've done a few small things here and there before. Applying the powder & baking it is the easy part. The prep is what's time consuming and tedious. I've gone through quite a bit of trial and error since this was a self-learned process.

All of these things started off covered in rust. New parts would be a different story. There's also top coats that look really nice over chrome or polished surfaces. I have a real nice candy red that I'm waiting to use on something chrome. For example, the water neck below is coated in a black chrome powder over a chrome surface.

upload072.jpg

upload058.jpg

upload063.jpg

upload055-1.jpg

upload020.jpg

upload070.jpg

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
your powder coating work looks awesome

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
G-Body_Vet said:
-83MONTESS- said:

I've done a few small things here and there before. Applying the powder & baking it is the easy part. The prep is what's time consuming and tedious. I've gone through quite a bit of trial and error since this was a self-learned process.

All of these things started off covered in rust. New parts would be a different story. There's also top coats that look really nice over chrome or polished surfaces. I have a real nice candy red that I'm waiting to use on something chrome. For example, the water neck below is coated in a black chrome powder over a chrome surface.
Yea prep always takes the longest. Im just trying to get ideas on what to do with some valve covers I got. Il probly just soda blast them and rattle can them black. I wish I knew someone local that could powdercoat them because it looks alot better. Those brackets and the drum look great btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor