Getting Cruise Control to Work with DBW Throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Hi guys. Just wondering if any of you that have any experience swapping in an LS with a DBW throttle have had any success in getting cruise control to work with it. Can you use the original combo turn signal/wiper stalk, or do you need to swap it out for a newer one? Thanks.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Hi guys. Just wondering if any of you that have any experience swapping in an LS with a DBW throttle have had any success in getting cruise control to work with it. Can you use the original combo turn signal/wiper stalk, or do you need to swap it out for a newer one? Thanks.

Many of the LS based ECM's like my E38 will not control the cruise control without the body control module. Some guys have made the BCM work so they can also use the paddle shifters but after a quick review of what is required it seems to me like there is a learning curve. Dakota digital sells a cruise module that plugs in between the DBW pedal and the ECM. It's pricey but get's it done.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index...._id=1004/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd1004.htm

1540383220512.png

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have an 01 DBW with the stock cruise stalk on the column. It's the same on all 99-07 gen 3 engines with the only difference being if the engine is DBC has a servo box you also have to mount. Mostly it is just hooking up wires. An 84+ G body has the correct open/closed circuit wiring, pre 84 stuff either put a newer stalk in or you have to do some non factory wiring as far as what hooks up to where. Only issue I had was the PCM looks for 4 ohms over the taillight circuit to prove the "off" signal is present, if you have less than 3.2ish ohms the PCM will think the tail lights arent working which won't give the PCM the signal it needs to turn cruise off so it defaults to not working.

But yeah, if you are E rod or gen 4 LS cruise is all routed through the BCM, although E rod MIGHT be easier since they know it's for swaps.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I have an 01 DBW with the stock cruise stalk on the column. It's the same on all 99-07 gen 3 engines with the only difference being if the engine is DBC has a servo box you also have to mount. Mostly it is just hooking up wires. An 84+ G body has the correct open/closed circuit wiring, pre 84 stuff either put a newer stalk in or you have to do some non factory wiring as far as what hooks up to where. Only issue I had was the PCM looks for 4 ohms over the taillight circuit to prove the "off" signal is present, if you have less than 3.2ish ohms the PCM will think the tail lights arent working which won't give the PCM the signal it needs to turn cruise off so it defaults to not working.

But yeah, if you are E rod or gen 4 LS cruise is all routed through the BCM, although E rod MIGHT be easier since they know it's for swaps.
Huh. When I did mine, I thought the cruise cancel worked through the TCC switch at the brake pedal? I guess manual trans is different?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Huh. When I did mine, I thought the cruise cancel worked through the TCC switch at the brake pedal? I guess manual trans is different?

So an LS needs 2 signals. It needs a 12V when the brake pedal is not being pressed and 12V when the pedal is pressed. It needs to see the 12V TCC lock signal AND the 12V tail light signal. I think it's an additional safety thing GM introduced vs. the 3800

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor