Getting the F' Outta Dodge.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
No, not that Dodge.

Thanks to Ontario (quickly becoming California Jr) and the general state of Canada imploding (a dystopian future created by mass psychosis) we are feverishly working on a move West to Saskatchewan - which may be the last bastion of hope for a normal future for our kids. We came to this decision on Saturday morning (following the province's back to school plan released on 3 Aug) and realizing the lack of support for our youngest who is deaf (masks don't work for deaf people who depend on lip reading, have reduced access to sound, and are trying to develop normal speech) from the school boards et al for an exemption - despite our aggressively advocating for her care since even before the plan was announced. Honestly, we should have started this move process sooner.

We've already engaged our real estate agent to list the house (and have a rough plan), and sent a request to our employer for an indefinite remote work plan (seems to be going ahead, and even if it doesn't were pretty much gone regardless), and expect to have most of the key pieces in place in the coming weeks. If you are in the Ottawa area and need parts expect a fire sale - because I'd rather not move it all.

Guess I am going to learn to enjoy hunting, fishing and snowmobiling.

This world is going to sh*t. Time for lots of land, a gun, and some clear lines of sight to the adversary.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 25 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
No, not that Dodge.

Thanks to Ontario (quickly becoming California Jr) and the general state of Canada imploding (a dystopian future created by mass psychosis) we are feverishly working on a move West to Saskatchewan - which may be the last bastion of hope for a normal future for our kids. We came to this decision on Saturday morning (following the province's back to school plan released on 3 Aug) and realizing the lack of support for our youngest who is deaf (masks don't work for deaf people who depend on lip reading, have reduced access to sound, and are trying to develop normal speech) from the school boards et al for - despite our aggressively advocating for her care since even before the plan was announced. Honestly, we should have started sooner.

We've already engaged our real estate agent to list the house (and have a rough plan), and sent a request to our employer for an indefinite remote work plan (seems to be going ahead, and even if it doesn't were pretty much gone regardless), and expect to have most of the key pieces in place in the coming weeks. If you are in the Ottawa area and need parts expect a fire sale - because I'd rather not move it all.

This world is going to sh*t. Time for lots of land, a gun, and some clear lines of sight to the adversary.
Wish you best of luck on the move. Sucks on one hand with the recent shop upgrades you made, but on the other you can build a much larger new shop at the new place.

Wouldn't hiring a company to move a shipping container loaded with your excess junk a-b for you be better than the fire sale losses?

As far as the last statement... I agree with most of that sentiment. I've got my eye on a couple properties that come with 200-400 acres, and generally contain a mountain top on the land.

Reactions: 7 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
No, not that Dodge.

Thanks to Ontario (quickly becoming California Jr) and the general state of Canada imploding (a dystopian future created by mass psychosis) we are feverishly working on a move West to Saskatchewan - which may be the last bastion of hope for a normal future for our kids. We came to this decision on Saturday morning (following the province's back to school plan released on 3 Aug) and realizing the lack of support for our youngest who is deaf (masks don't work for deaf people who depend on lip reading, have reduced access to sound, and are trying to develop normal speech) from the school boards et al for - despite our aggressively advocating for her care since even before the plan was announced. Honestly, we should have started sooner.

Good luck with the move. It's a lot of disruption in your life but should be totally worth it. We've waited too long ourselves. I ran into a neighbor of mine at the storage on Saturday morning. He said that Thursday night, his wife and daughter were at the nearby grocery store (the one we mostly shop at). A couple of young females came up to them and asked them for money. When my neighbor's wife replied that she didn't have any cash, they replied "oh, that's fine you can send it to me through Zelle." When the neighbors wife said "I don't have Zelle I don't do online payment, these people got ugly and took her groceries! Took the whole damn cart! Where we live has gone to hell. There is no distinction with where we live with living in the urban city.

I digress. I'm looking forward to seeing your updates and am happy that you all are headed for greener pastures. Best wishes and best of luck with the move!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Good luck with the move. It's a lot of disruption in your life but should be totally worth it. We've waited too long ourselves. I ran into a neighbor of mine at the storage on Saturday morning. He said that Thursday night, his wife and daughter were at the nearby grocery store (the one we mostly shop at). A couple of young females came up to them and asked them for money. When my neighbor's wife replied that she didn't have any cash, they replied "oh, that's fine you can send it to me through Zelle." When the neighbors wife said "I don't have Zelle I don't do online payment, these people got ugly and took her groceries! Took the whole damn cart! Where we live has gone to hell. There is no distinction with where we live with living in the urban city.

I digress. I'm looking forward to seeing your updates and am happy that you all are headed for greener pastures. Best wishes and best of luck with the move!
But, but, but.... they tell us that 'diversity' is good? They want all of us to live places like that!

The diaspora that fled places like kalifornia, NY, etc for the rural areas are already saying everything is great, EXCEPT the lack of social services and diversity that they left. Not making the connection between that, and high crime with high tax rates.

Wife was with me last night and saw a turquoise composite stock gun. Told me it's was pretty and was excited. Asked her if she really wanted it and she nodded OK. So that's progress, first time that happened so I brought it home with us. Single shot small caliber, but it's a start.

Reactions: 6 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I give this thread about 4 more posts before it goes lockdown...

But good luck with the move. I don't have kids yet but from what I have heard it has pushed a LOT of people to the edge dealing with the school system. Really gotta do what is best for them.

I would recommend Manitoba since it's a bit closer to me :p and if you live in Brandon or whatever it's not too far from Fargo/Grand Forks or BIR.

There's a track in Saskatoon though so you aren't totally out of luck :)

• Agree
Reactions: 10 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
But, but, but.... they tell us that 'diversity' is good? They want all of us to live places like that!

The diaspora that fled places like kalifornia, NY, etc for the rural areas are already saying everything is great, EXCEPT the lack of social services and diversity that they left. Not making the connection between that, and high crime with high tax rates.

Wife was with me last night and saw a turquoise composite stock gun. Told me it's was pretty and was excited. Asked her if she really wanted it and she nodded OK. So that's progress, first time that happened so I brought it home with us. Single shot small caliber, but it's a start.
I promise you they wouldn't have run off with my shopping cart. Nonetheless, when you have to fight for the groceries that you paid for, it's time to move.

• Agree

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Be glad that youre moving while youre still young. Ive been looking to move off Long Island since 9/11. Back then there were multiple reasons that we couldnt. Elderly parents, long time employment for me and my wife, kids in school. There was always something holding us back.
My last parent passed in '07. I have no siblings. My son graduated HS in '08 and my daughter was just beginning. I stopped working due to an injury the same year. Never made an attempt to go. In '10 my wife had to stop working. Again, due to an injury.
Now my son is married and living two doors down from us in a rental. They both make great money. They looked in NC last year just before Covid took off. Now they feel if they leave their jobs it would be a huge risk since theyre both in the radiology field and no matter where they wind up they would be low in seniority if there were any cuts. Plus they would have to start at the bottom of the pay scale.
My daughter loves her job as a paramedic. Another issue. Shes making great money. Out of NY the pay seems to be a lot less.
So, it looks like Im staying in this little podunk town Ive been living in pretty much my whole life. At my age I dont want to be far from my kids. My wife feels the same way. House has been paid off for many years but the majority of the improvements that I did were from back in '92. I need a new roof. Front door and porch have to be redone. Same with the deck. I was hoping the next owner would be doing it. Guess its not going to work out that way.
My window has closed.
In a way it might be a good thing. The large amount of people from NY moving down south will eventually turn that state into a high taxed craphole just like here.
Good luck with the move !!! I wish it was me. LOL

Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I feel the same way that the world is going to hell in a handbasket, and I always have feelers out to relocate South (North Carolina, Florida, Texas, etc.). Good luck with the move; it is a wise choice. The interruption of lip reading for your child fills me with anger. Mass psychosis is right! It's actually mass hysteria. The innate inability for most humans to think/act commensurate with relative risk*, the grip of social media, virtue signaling, and tendency to venerate highly-educated "experts" are all parts of the problem.

*people are deathly afraid of getting sneezed on, but don't realize the risk is on the order of what they cope with driving.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm less than an hour from Pittsburgh but the last 20 years has been better living in what's a basic farm town dispite missing the ease of access of most things. Don't miss the degrading of the better neighborhoods cause of progress in the river area (you can put a new dress on her but she'd still the same dirty old wh*re we know), excessive bike lanes that makes traffic worse, over priced/dropped value properties, noise of idiots acting like people they can't be, and things that I won't list cause of site policies. I still have to drive down there to see my family & to go to events but I can atleast get the **** out of Pittsburgh when I want. Mike, make sure you have enough land for a strip, skid pad & a range that can be filled with lead at the other end.

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor