Getting to 425-450hp in a sbc 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I want to know how to get my motor to make this much power. This is what I have so far:

-350 standard bore
-882 old iron heads with 2.02/1.60 valves
-Flat top KB pistons
-Edelbrock performer intake
-1.6 stamp steel rockers
-.442/.465, 272/282 summit camshaft
- I-beam rods
-forged crank (pretty sure)
-Have a choice of an eddy 600cfm carb, carter afb comp 750cfm, or Barry Grant 750cfm

I know the biggest thing holding me back is going to be the heads and I want to have a set of heads that are ready to bolt on and go. What are the cheapest heads out there to increase flow and power? I've seen those twin turbo kits on ebay for sbc but I'm willing to bet money they're just cheap chinese junk. What about a supercharger? The car is primarily a weekend street driver but will see some drag and autocross. Any suggestions appreciated.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
If you switched to a single plane manifold (victor jr.), got a larger lift cam (.490), bought a set cheap of 64cc heads (World Products S/R Torquers) for example, used a 750 cfm carb., and ran about 10.5:1 compression, you'd be sittin around 400 hp.

If you were to buy a better set of heads you'd probly meet your 425-450 hp goal. Or you could run more compression.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm gonna end up having to keep my eyes out on ebay or craigs then cause I can't afford a new set of heads. I'd be happy with either iron or aluminum, I just want to get a head with a better flow rate. I know with the 1.6 rockers, that puts my current cam lift at .471/.495.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Is there a way to make the 350 or torque monster? I know only a big block will give serious torque but are there ways to make ridiculous torque. I would be happy making 375-400 hp but it is the torque that launches the car and gets it off the line. So what are ways to boost torque without sacrificing too much hp?

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ

79GP6.6L

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2006
Upstate NY
patmckinneyracing said:
Is there a way to make the 350 or torque monster? I know only a big block will give serious torque but are there ways to make ridiculous torque. I would be happy making 375-400 hp but it is the torque that launches the car and gets it off the line. So what are ways to boost torque without sacrificing too much hp?

Intake manifold runner length, cylinder head port size, and camshaft selection would all have an effect on torque. I'd tell you more, but I have to leave for work soon. As far as launching the car off the line, I think selecting the proper torque converter and gear ratio is essential. Sure, big blocks are torque monsters, but with the right combo, you can make a lot of torque with a small block as well.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Pat,
I went with the eddy rpm air gap intake, eddy performer rpm cam (488/510"), A Junk eddy 750 , Dart Pro-1 200 cc aluminum heads and a stroker kit ( forged crank, H beam rods and forged k.b. pistoins) The kit I bought on E-Bay from KMJ Performance for about a grand or so....Anyways, I made 514 hp at 6800 rpm with the 350 punched 60 over and 469 foot pounds of torque at 4000 rpm.....BUt I also got about 6G in this motor...I recently scrapped the junk eddy carb and put a worked holley 750 (4779) on the motor so I know it's a lil more hp now.....That being said, depending on your finances..buy a decent set of heads and you should get your goal...Nothing wrong with buying used heads and getting them freshened up either.

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
patmckinneyracing said:
Yeah, put a 400 crankshaft in it and make it a stroker! Mine is a beast. You're right, torque is what gives you that feeling that the bucket seats brackets are going to break in half when you accelerate.

Right now, it'll chirp the tires even going in 4th gear OD! I've had 400ish hp 350's for years, but the 383 is a different animal.

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
patmckinneyracing said:
I'm gonna end up having to keep my eyes out on ebay or craigs then cause I can't afford a new set of heads. I'd be happy with either iron or aluminum, I just want to get a head with a better flow rate. I know with the 1.6 rockers, that puts my current cam lift at .471/.495.

definitely biggest thing is heads,
i just kept my eyes open and found my dart iron eagles on craigslist,

it just takes a little patience sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor