Ghost Towns And Abandoned Places

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
What is the fascination with the remnants of mankind's abandoned things and places? Is it that we like viewing the ultimate demise of the great hopes and dreams of a time since past? Is it that they remind us of the ultimate futility of all our actions and technology as they point out that it will all someday soon be replaced? I will admit that I would LOVE to explore some abandoned places. Places like Bodie CA, Kennecott AK, or Prypiat, Ukrane (bring a Geiger Counter!!!) seem to beckon me to see a time since past. Supposedly, there are also whole subdivisions that were abandoned after Hurricane Andrew in South Florida never to be rebuilt, and I want to go check them out. Anyone else share my curiosity?

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
ghost

i also share a interest in old places and things,i like arrow heads when i look at them i wonder how these guys have to sit and make tools to use to bring food home just to live!!and to think we have it hard making a living in this life of easy times

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
WoW cutlass 85, i never knew that place ever existed in CA. I also love history like you guys. I visited some old mayan and aztec ruins, old roman roads, louvre, and many other moseums. Everythings is so amazing, you never know what your going to find out. After i'm finish with my BU, she and I are going to travel up and down the whole western see coast. I hear that it's rich in history, and i get to do it driving my BU. You never know, might come across an old barn find!!!!! :wink:

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I have always loved lookin for places like that. I have always loved older houses because of what you might find in them. I have found some extremely old coins before in and around old houses. Im also like that with older cars too. I like to see if I can find old documents or items that might explain what things were like back then. I also like to go to older areas that are know to be haunted for fun. I have no idea if ghosts are real but it is always great to go somewhere just to see if the stories are true.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Bodie is amazing. I have always wanted to go see it, but it is not easily reached as there are no roads leading there and you have to go in on horseback. I also found another cool thing on Youtube while searching Ghost Towns. There is an abandoned turnpike in PA, complete with tunnels. I really wish I could load up my car and see this country for about 6 months to a year. There are so many adventures to have that most of us will never experience because of mortgages, jobs and families. I really would love to drive my Cutlass from the Southernmost point in the Continental US in Key West, to the Northernmost in Alaska. The ALCAN Highway would be such a wonderful thing to travel on.

pontiacman469

Master Mechanic
Jul 18, 2008
Bangor,Maine
The scary part is these are dissappearing greatly as we speak,i live in maine and what was alot of historic and farm land has greatly turned into subdivisions,hard 2 blame tho on has land and needs money,but atlas ther e are some that still survive our lighthouses,and a few haunted mansions i think are keepers.my brother collects old bottles and hes found some worth thousands tearing down old houses from the 1800..they're pretty cool to display too.. :wink:

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
Check out Centralia, PA on the web. It's a mining town that has a underground mine fire burning since the '60s. There are fewer than 20 people left.

Munkey B

Greasemonkey
Jul 5, 2008
Detroit, michigan
i as well LOVE history or historic places. i'd love to see many things.
i'm still amazed at architecture from 1400-1700's. i just can't believe that people could build that kind of architecture back then, knowing what technology they didn't have. i think todays buildings/homes are boring aestetically.
i have this undying feeling to see mt rushmore. no idea why, but tops on my list

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I agree. Most new houses today are boring boxes meant to enclose as much square footage as possible for the lowest price. You look at an old Victorian House, and the details are stunning. All that beautiful trim work and wood, most of it done by hand. Today, they do details like columns, etc. out of Styrofoam, then cover it in drywall mud or stucco and call it good. I have a cheap house, but then it's only 1100sqft. My parents have a house that is 4x as big but has no more detail than mine does.

A friend and I used to jokingly call our houses "Concrete Trailers" because they were so devoid of architectural creativity. That's Florida though. Everything is new, clean and dull. It has to be one of the most beige places on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor