Glass blasted GN hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
My hood had a huge crack in the paint and when I started scraping, the surface rust never ended!! So I took it to a guy and had it glass blasted. Here are the results. (in between the pics of it bare and the priming, I took it to the local car wash and spent $10 pressure washing the media out of the bracing)

Wasn't cheap at $300(cdn), but saved me a lot of sanding. I block sanded the top with 220 for about 5 minutes and primed.

IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1294.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
$300 well spent, you would have never got it as clean as the media blasting even if you spend a week sanding it...

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
After spending all that $$$, I would have used a 2 part paint, not 1K. Ideally, it would have been epoxy primed to prevent future corrosion problems.

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
thanks for bursting my bubble. I was so happy. :rolleyes:

I live in the middle of nowhere and the humidity is crazy. it is what i could get at the only auto parts/paint place in my town. I have never used 1k before. Just grabbed it on a whim. It will have to do. The car is never going to be show quality. I am amazed that there was somebody here that could do this for me.

Out of curiosity, what difference will it make to the finished product? I assume it will be done in high solids with the rest of the car before it is painted. Will it really matter?

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
thanks for bursting my bubble. I was so happy. :rolleyes:

I live in the middle of nowhere and the humidity is crazy. it is what i could get at the only auto parts/paint place in my town. I have never used 1k before. Just grabbed it on a whim. It will have to do. The car is never going to be show quality. I am amazed that there was somebody here that could do this for me.

Out of curiosity, what difference will it make to the finished product? I assume it will be done in high solids with the rest of the car before it is painted. Will it really matter?
You said cnd which I am guessing you are in Canada where abouts? This seems like a good deal

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The 1 k will absorb moisture and allow it to penetrate to the raw steel under it until it is sealed by a catalyzed coating from the weather. Additionally, any stone chips that it incurs will be a potential source of corrosion. This is basically what happened with the original paint and why it got rusty under it.

Sorry if I come off like a dick, just hate to see somebody's hard work and money compromised by lesser materials

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
So paint it as soon as possible?

The 1k won't protect it against the humidity? It is not going on the car for quite some time. Should I put something else over it?
What about the rust primer I used on the bottom side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor