Glove box lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
What’s the trick for taking the glove box lock out? I’ve been trying for an hour. The knob doesn’t want to separate from the inner. I can’t believe this is one part I’ve never taken apart.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
There's small holes in the side of the lock where you stick a paper clip to release the tumblers and lock comes apart.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You will need the key for this. Good video to show what's going on inside the tumblers.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Great info . BUT I’m stuck because I don’t have the key for the replacement glove box

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
Doug - Here's something I wrote up a few years ago, so I could remember if I was ever faced with the problem again! Hope this helps - Jim

On the one I pulled from my ’82, the lock cylinder is held in the cylinder housing with one spring-loaded tab. Then there are spring-loaded pins corresponding to the cuts in the key. The pins are positioned in line with the key slot. There is a hole in the cylinder housing at 12 o’clock and one at 3 o’clock for depressing the tab and pins to remove the cylinder. I prefer using a 2mm precision screwdriver for depressing the tab and pins. With the cylinder locked and the slot vertical, inserting the screwdriver into the 12 o’clock hole in the cylinder housing will release the tab. Then do the same for each pin while working the cylinder out from the housing. If the lock is unlocked, use the hole at 3 o’clock in the housing. The attached picture shows the lock in the locked position with the cylinder released past the first tab.

Attachments

• glovebox lock.JPG
    glovebox lock.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 235
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor