Not open for further replies.

84calelky

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
What did you do with

What did you do with the 3.08 gears
Would you be looking to part with them
Hi John
Sure , only issue I see is Shipping . Probably going to be costly to ship from California to PA. I'll check weight tonight .

84calelky

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
Finished it up on Saturday , everything went back together smoothly. The 3.42 gears are so much better car pulls nicely off the line now .
My speedometer used to be about 20 mph slow , now i only about 7mph slow . Can't wait to do the heads and headers that should make it perfect.
finished (1).jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
for the record, you would be much better off finding a later model roller 350 and starting from there , flat tappet cams just dont last and regular motor oil is starting to get harder and harder to find Me and a friends dad stood in o'reilly's the other day looking for conventional oil and the olny thing we could find is a few bottles of castrol , but that sh*t was almost 30 bucks for a 5 quart oil change. Insane,. . and alot of cam companies are cheaping out and just resurfacing old flat tappet lifters they buy as cores and the surface finish isn't what it should be and you wind up ruining a cam , and sending all that metal through the engine. Its just not worth it anymore, plus the later blocks are cast with Spherical graphite and they just dont wear the bores like older SBCs , also you dont get the persky rear main seal leaks and crappy oil pan leaks. those old 290 crate motors use crappy *ss mexican cast blocks and they wear like hot butter. if you get to looking for one, look the it to say 5.7 SGI on the back bellhousing lip.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What trans do you have? That 290 hp cam with more compression will no doubt perform nicely. Our emissions laws are minimal in Saskatchewan. I can go into Napa and get Lucas Hot Rod oil in 10W30 and 20W50. Walmart sells VR1 20W50 here. The .028" composite head gaskets are a good idea. Of course .027" MLS are even better with aluminum heads. The shim head gaskets may have been too tight, it depends on how far those pistons sit in the hole. California, dam dirty hippies.

Reactions: 1 user

84calelky

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
as for oil they sell Zddp additive , even the Stp oil treatment has the correct Zinc in it to run an old flat tappet .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor