GM INCOMPETENT RECORD KEEPING

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I am in no way condoning what GM did in the past or is doing today but, let's face it these cars were NEVER meant to be collectable or even still exist at this point in time. They were commodities much like a dishwasher or refrigerator only meant to last just long enough for the original buyer to feel they got their monies worth or a newer model caught their eye. Do you really think whirlpool or maytag can tell you how many washers they made of a particular model and color in 1983? Very doubtful.
Most cars are thought of in the same way by both the manufacturer and consumer. Keeping records for previous models past their useful life makes no sense from a business standpoint and also from a space standpoint. There were very little or no electronic records in those days and keeping paper copies of every car they ever made would take insane amounts of space and money to keep them in storage with absolutely no return on the investment of doing so. I'm sure there wasn't one person at GM in those days that said , hey we should save all this stuff cause in 30 or 40 years someone might want to know how many Cutlasses we made in 1982 with a 307 bucket seats f41 suspension and a cassette player with silver paint and no vinyl top. My guess is no one said that or even cared.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Hillary deleted all of the records for GM

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Last edited:

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Does Jelly Belly keep track of how many purple ones they produced with the word Jelly Belly mispelt! Nope and why would any car or for that matter anyone keep track of how many blue and pink color combinations they made in 1985 Buick with aluminum wheels and no spare!

I don't believe those "this is one of two of 366 built with the no radio option and a record player" . My 87 SS is one of 32987 that has a unique VIN!

As far as a TOP GM guy, they don't know what is produced, its a car that cost *** to produce and yield *** income.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor