GM manuals that should be in your library

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
After responding to another members question on manuals for his car, I figure I would put up some pics of my GM library I have. Dispite all the info on line, a computer or smart phone may not be the best thing to have in the tool box like a good manual. Outside of a Chiltons/Haynes, a GM manual covers our cars better than anything else out there. The base library should have the owners manual, service manual, & Fisher Body manual for the year you own. It is nice to have manuals from additional years to cover upgrades from newer & older models or other models that your drivetrain is from. Keep in mind that the production changes covered may not match your year but will help guide in getting the additional parts to make everything work like it was ment to be. I'm including part of my library (to include a few of my PPG chip books) to represent what you could have in your library. I started mine in '90 when I got my car & I'm still looking for more to add.
DSCN3152.JPG DSCN3153.JPG DSCN3156.JPG DSCN3157.JPG DSCN3154.JPG DSCN3155.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
I did the same thing a few years after I bought my Monte. Chilton books were ok but nothing came close to the factory service manuals. I was lucky enough to find my service manual in a used bookstore called Bookmans in Tucson. This was in the late 80's-early 90's where some garage had closed down and the store got all their repair books. The collision estimate guides I found had great info on the dimensions of a bunch of domestic cars of that time. Think I paid $5 dollars for them, about $15 for the service manual.

The Internet, in my opinion, can be helpful when using repair videos on youtube to familarize yourself with repairs you have never done, but finding the info you need that these books contain is sparse or suspect depending on where it originated. Call me old fashioned, call me a fool, but even though I have the technology available and like it, I still gravitate to my good old reliable books.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
They are the best resource since they give p/n's to tools that may be needed that just not at any parts store. They even show how to make certain shop tools.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Back in 80 or 81 I blew the 350 buick in my 76 Century wagon. I bought the shop manual for the 76 Buick at the local dealership which cost me if I remember correctly $60. I rebuilt the engine following the instructions and pictures in the book. You can't get anything better than a book cause you can read it over and over and I think we grasp it better from a book than youtube

• Agree

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Yep, nothing like reading black print on greasy white pages...mine look that way!

• Agree

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have the factory manual for every car I own as well as many I no longer own. If you are going to work on your own car you owe it to yourself to get the factory book. If you are going to change things then the Hollanders Interchange book is what you need. It will tell you where to find corporate parts that interchange with your model and year. I have found many manuals at swap meets. Most big meets have at least one or two guys that specialize in factory manuals and literature.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Anyone considering opening up their rear end gears owes it to themselves to get any year GM rear wheel drive factory manual. Then READ READ READ! If you don't get a headache, then you didn't read enough. The factory GM manuals are the only resource I have ever found that acurately describe the theory and repair procedures of our car's gears. You should not attempt to change anything until you have read and think you understand what is involved. Then read some more!

• Informative
Nov 4, 2012
I've been trying to build my collection of factory shop manuals. Every once in a while I see one on eBay and grab it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor