GM's Answer For Pinion Angle Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's a tiny tutorial about what to look for when checking your pinion angle and you're sort of stuck using factory rear upper control arms. Ok, nobody is ever stuck with them, but if you have a car you want to restore and need to adjust it slightly, you can if you can get hold of the UCA variants. Agreed, it's a whole lot easier to get adjustables, but again, this is about something few people probably knew about. It was something I didn't know about until the mid-90s when I went to buy new control arms at the dealership. The parts dude told me that I needed to specify which rear UCA I needed. I'm like, Wut? He said they come in 3 flavors, 0, -1.5 deg, and +1.5 deg. He told me (unverified) that the 0 offset was the common and most-used arm, but they did have some for slight adjustments to the pinion angle if needed. He said it was done by where the rear mounting hole position was placed changing the effective length. Again, unverified, but it's the only way it could work. Obviously, the idea was the -1.5 would push the pinion shaft down 1.5 degrees (longer distance between centers), and the +1.5 would pull the pinion shaft up (shorter distance between centers). And they need to be bought in matched pairs. Or if you just buy one, needs to be matched with the other on the car.

It won't solve every pinion angle issue you may have, if you need a different amount of pinion adjustment. Remember these are compromised engineering solutions for factory junk. Not much adjustment, but they did have a method available if needed. There should be a stamped two-letter code on one side of the rear UCA's. It's either XR, XY, or XZ.

XR equates to zero offset. P/N 10000076. These are the ones I bought because I've yet to get up underneath to check mine. If I found out they're not 0 offset, I'll just rebush the existing ones. Sorry, no picture.

XY equates to -1.5 degree offset. P/N 10001059. You can see the XY stamp here.
XY neg pinion angle NOS Rr UCA 10001059.jpg

XZ equates to +1.5 degree offset. P/N 10001060. You can see the XZ stamp in the pic.
XZ pos pinion angle NOS Rr UCA 10001060.jpg

Attachments

• XZ pos pinion angle NOS Rr UCA 10001060.jpg
    XZ pos pinion angle NOS Rr UCA 10001060.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Informative
  • Wow
Reactions: 17 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
" Rembember,these are compromised engineering solutions for factory junk'' 😅😅
I love it

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I remember there being certain applications/combos that got certain arms from the factory. Think V6 Malibu wagon vs. V8 car w/F41 vs. FE3 w/8.5" differential. I had a sets of two of the three when I was younger.

But, I never knew there were three or that they had specific ranges or stampings/PNs. This is very informative.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Checked out the ones on my replacement frame ('86 SS w/F41, G80) & it has XR stamped on them. Looked at the original '81(V6 w/o F41 or G80) frame uppers & they are too pitted to tell.

86Olds442

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
Thank you so much for this. I bought ones off Ebay many years ago and put them on the car. Have had a vibration since before then but got it much better but not completely gone. This must be it. Anybody know which would have been factory on an 86 442?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thank you so much for this. I bought ones off Ebay many years ago and put them on the car. Have had a vibration since before then but got it much better but not completely gone. This must be it. Anybody know which would have been factory on an 86 442?
The pics I nabbed above for the -1.5 and +1.5 are from current ebay ads. They're wanting 215.00 shipped plus any applicable taxes for each pair!!

It's hard to say exactly which ones you would have from the factory. I was under the impression that XR's were the standard "ideal" part as the pinion angle should have been engineered in. Kinda like the oversize valves and stuff GM used to sell. You would have to know where you were and which one you needed to fix your issue. And again, we're talking factory junk. So you only had a +/- 3 degree swing on where it was maximum using the stock available UCAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor