GNX rear seat brace

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
The Tin Man brace is roughly .060" at the upper attachment point and .125" at the bottom. So it is at least as thick as the existing braces/reinforcements that it attaches to.
I guess all I need then is some .083 sheet, since I don’t have a bead roller.

I wonder if an x brace on the trunk side would be overkill combined with that....

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Bringing this one back from the dead, if anyone has used the Tinman brace, how wide is it at the top? Im trying to figure out how wide I need to make mine, I’m thinking somewhere around 18 inches wide

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I made 2 X's with $5 in Conduit From Lowes and some Bolts & Nuts. My T-type didn't have T-tops but even with a hardtop it felt a little stiffer. My T-top GN already had a conduit Double X brace so I didn't have a before/after,

Adding the 6 Missing lower Frame Mounts was more noticeable with My T-type hard top and really stiffened my T-top GN, so be sure to do that to stiffen your car.

Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I made 2 X's with $5 in Conduit From Lowes and some Bolts & Nuts. My T-type didn't have T-tops but even with a hardtop it felt a little stiffer. My T-top GN already had a conduit Double X brace so I didn't have a before/after,

Adding the 6 Missing lower Frame Mounts was more noticeable with My T-type hard top and really stiffened my T-top GN, so be sure to do that to stiffen your car.
At this point I’m going overkill on this car but this is the last brace I have to install. Trying to figure out the shape of this brace Kirban sells from 2 grainy photos is a bit of a challenge:
71A463C7-6091-4D33-AA7A-AC699C032D4E.jpeg

I’ve got the bottom legs done, but the center section with a cutout for the hook for the rear seat back is throwing me through a loop. The photos don’t show if the brace is curved to match the slight curvature of the package tray. I think I’m going to have to tack the piece I’m making in and just form it with a torch.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
I have the tinman rear brace in my monte carlo, the fitment is great. I bought it directly from him years ago and he was great to deal with. I had originally purchased the tubular kirban one and IT DID NOT FIT!!!!!! I tried every bar every which way and something was off. At least one bar was bent incorrectly, I don't think it was wrong I know it was wrong. Kirban would not believe me

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You guys are crazy lol. I guess if you're concerned about looks (for all of the trunk peekers).

I've made my last couple from .150" aluminum of the free variety from the side of a truck/trailer. And it doubles as an NHRA legal fire wall eliminating the need for me to have a battery box.

IMG_2724.jpg IMG_2725.jpg IMG_2726.jpg IMG_2727.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a fuel cell in the trunk so I just made an aluminum firewall to be track legal and for my own safety.

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have a fuel cell in the trunk so I just made an aluminum firewall to be track legal and for my own safety.

It’s really not very difficult. Nor is it time consuming if you can get the back seat out. I know you’re MC has a real nice cage. I put one In my MC and working around the cage was difficult, but not too difficult. The one I put in my son’s car, no cage, was very easy.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I put one In my MC and working around the cage was difficult, but not too difficult.
What saves me is I have a power sunroof I have to remove my bucket seat which is also power and put it through the sunroof to get it out over the bars and then I have enough room to get in there to get the back seat out,
Fitting and installing the aluminum sheet is easy and relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor