Going Back to Old School

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I was definitely part of this feedback. Gimme my damned buttons back! I can set the AC in a Malibu without looking at it.

Reactions: 6 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My Gen Z daughter says she and her friends want there cars to be cars and their phones to be phones. There may be some hope after all.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
One of the things I loved about my 1998 BMW 323is was that you were surrounded by buttons. Felt like you were in the cockpit of an F16. I like buttons.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
One of the things I loved about my 1998 BMW 323is was that you were surrounded by buttons. Felt like you were in the cockpit of an F16. I like buttons.
Every couple decades you gets cars like that.

I'm thinkingnof the old Newport with the push button automatic on the dash among all its other knows and buttons.

I'm thinking of the old 'starship' berlinetta camaro.

There's other I recall seeing whose names elude me at the moment, but, what's old is new again, always been the way.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
A very good article, thank you. My 2016 Honda Odyssey has a touch screen audio system, which I find distracting. Fortunately for me, there are buttons on the steering wheel, which I find easier to operate while driving.

• Agree

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I hate the touchscreen everything that pervades all newer cars AND especially CANbus <hate emoji>. Modern design going back to buttons, knobs, sliders, toggle switches, dials, analog readouts, etc., but modernized electronics/controls would be great. I am ready to sell my RAM and get an old school truck to restore that has no CANbus anything, but has modern engine/fuel management and a standalone programmable transmission. Modern standalone audio that connects to multiple audio sources. Modern standalone HVAC. Basically what I am doing with the two Oldses, but in a truck.

Being an electrical engineer with a love for all things electronic, I now think gadgetry for the sake of gadgetry is a bad thing which is the opposite of what I thought when I was a teenager playing with electronics in junior high and high school. There can be too much of a good thing esp when it comes to engineering.

Maybe as I approach "retirement", I'll start designing some modern/retro stuff for the aftermarket...

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
I really like the setup Mazda uses, I think they call it MazdaConnect. Everything is displayed on a 7 or 8 inch display, and it is a touch screen, but if the vehicle is in motion the "touch" is disabled. It is controlled through a well placed single knob on the console that moves left, right, forward, and back to scroll through the menus. It's very easy to use and you don't have to feel around for buttons or reach for the touch screen.

My F150 has an 8 inch screen and I like that it is big enough for me to see the Navigation without having to take my eyes off the road. But I'd be totally fine if the display was controlled via buttons or a knob like the Mazda.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Ok, I need a go back on my previous. If we were to implement head up displays like modern military aircraft, then more electronics would be fine haha.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Ok, I need a go back on my previous. If we were to implement head up displays like modern military aircraft, then more electronics would be fine haha.
That seems to come & go with the manufactures. If they were pushing to keep your eyes on the road all rides would have it.

• Agree

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I can agree with the safety argument. Now how can we get the morons to put the GD cell phones down?!? And just remember, we are the people who drive 40 year old cars. We want the buttons to still work. I am thinking these touch screens are going to poop out right about the time the owners are considering a new car.

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor