Going to try 1st transmission swap. What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
I'm starting to get things in line to do my first transmission swap. Right now I have a TH350 that leaks about a quart of fluid a week. Most of my driving is highway driving and the car has 3:73 gears so I'm swapping to a 200-4r. Motor is an Olds 350 also. This list of things I know I need so far is,

Transmission
Torque converter (lock up)
Trans cross member
Torque converter lockup switch
Speedometer gears
Speedometer gear housing
Dip stick
Carburetor tv cable brackets.

Anything that I'm missimg? Any suggestion on brands and such is welcome also? So far I think I'm going to be going with a jegs brand transmission and gforce crossmember. The jegs transmission is the best price I can find. I was looking at monster transmission bit read lots of bad reviews of them. Thanks for any input in advance. I'm kind of nervous doing this swap but I'm never going to learn if I don't do it. I think with the resources available on this site, google, and a couple of friends it should go pretty easily.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I've heard good things about TCI and GearVendor, but they're on the expensive side. If you have the qjet you could go junkyard hunting and find a mid to late 80s v8 four door rwd gm. Most of those had 200r4s so you could nab the brackets. Holley/Edelbrock make brackets for the TV cable if you have either of those. Try and go with a ~2000 stall 'verter if your olds has a bit of pep to it. If it's mostly stock, a stock ~1200rpm will do just fine. I've heard of people having trouble with the GForce x members, be it fitment or poor qaulity. I've heard good things however about the tubular x member from GBodyParts.com. This lockup kit is pretty good, Lokar has a good rep. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-376600 Other than that you have most of the stuff down. Good luck!

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Or you could just run a toggle flip switch for the lockup or use a stock kit for the brake pedal.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
I've heard good things about TCI and GearVendor, but they're on the expensive side. If you have the qjet you could go junkyard hunting and find a mid to late 80s v8 four door rwd gm. Most of those had 200r4s so you could nab the brackets. Holley/Edelbrock make brackets for the TV cable if you have either of those. Try and go with a ~2000 stall 'verter if your olds has a bit of pep to it. If it's mostly stock, a stock ~1200rpm will do just fine. I've heard of people having trouble with the GForce x members, be it fitment or poor qaulity. I've heard good things however about the tubular x member from GBodyParts.com. This lockup kit is pretty good, Lokar has a good rep. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-376600 Other than that you have most of the stuff down. Good luck!

Thanks for suggesting the gbodyparts crossmember. Its cheaper than the gforce and I've have nothing but good dealings with gbodyparts.com Pretty sure I'm going to go with that. It just looks a little flimsier than the gforce member but my pocket likes that its cheaper.

your missing transmission fluid

I actually was thinking so much about the big stuff I never even thought of that. Thanks for the reminder.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You're welcome. Yep, 175$ is a damn good deal. And you can order them to fit basically any trans from 200 metric to a T56 and everything inbetween. I intend on picking one up myself this summer when I install my Buick 350.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
I just got off the phone with a place called Midwest Converters in Rockford IL. They're about a 2 hour drive from me. They had a couple 200-4r posted on Craigslist and they're prices seem pretty good. 1150 for the trans including the core charge and 325 for a 2400 stall converter. They said they can put together a converaion kit with tci lockup switch, tv cable, and dipstick tube. I think I decided where I'll be getting my trans. Best part dont have to pay for shipping. Couldn't find any reviews for them so hopefully im not gonna get screwed over. Heres the link to theyre cragslist add. Does it sound like this trans will hold up to streeting a 300-400hp motor?

http://rockford.craigslist.org/ptd/5504263322.html

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I just got off the phone with a place called Midwest Converters in Rockford IL. They're about a 2 hour drive from me. They had a couple 200-4r posted on Craigslist and they're prices seem pretty good. 1150 for the trans including the core charge and 325 for a 2400 stall converter. They said they can put together a converaion kit with tci lockup switch, tv cable, and dipstick tube. I think I decided where I'll be getting my trans. Best part dont have to pay for shipping. Couldn't find any reviews for them so hopefully im not gonna get screwed over. Heres the link to theyre cragslist add. Does it sound like this trans will hold up to streeting a 300-400hp motor?

http://rockford.craigslist.org/ptd/5504263322.html
Well, a 200r4 holds up pretty well under 16psi in a gnx and all that has is a different valve body and a shift kit compared to the standard one. Should be golden if they're not scam artists.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Is your engine stock? Are you going to upgrade it? Do you race it?

The weakest link in the 200-4r is the forward drum. They are good in mild applications as long as you're not making crazy power you're good.

They use a hardened sunshell. Those are cheap insurance to replace. They changed the stator to already which is good since the factory ones wear bad.

Otherwise that is a good price.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor