Gold-leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
www.cardomain.com
So I was thinking today at work... (suprise suprise) and thought about the newest version of hot-rod mag. The last page said the hottest new color going today is brown :mrgreen: blablabla... says chip foose. So supposedly Chip is revealing a new brown hotrod in the next issue of the mag. In the sneak peek photo, it shows the wheels, which are gold (pretty much the only color that goes with brown :lol: ) and that got me thinking:

All of the interior "woodgrain" pieces have edges that are "chrome" (so these are basically big platic hunks of fakeness :lol: ) ANYWAYS...Since my interior is brown and gold goes very well with it, would it look good if i got some of that crafty gold-leaf paper and put gold over the chrome borders on the woodgrain pieces?
This stuff:
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_... Supplies&psid=FROOGLE&sid=KDx20070926x00003a

I'm a valet at a real nice little restruant and we get a lot of very nice cars (BMW's audi's Mercede's) on a regular basis, But today I parked an '86 cutlass 8) Just thought that was cool. The first thing the guy said when I greeted him was "Make sure you don't wreck it" :lol: The typical bench seat granny gauge cutlass, but sill cool and rockin' the old man whitewalls.

I've tried using fake silver leaf (aluminum) and it just didn't look right. You really have to take your time laying it down and trying to get nice crisp clean edges.
If you use real gold leaf, you'll need to clear coat it if it's not 22kt or higher.

Real silver leaf needs clear coated otherwise it will tarnish.

Hmmm. I think I could do it because I'm one of those guys into the real detailed stuff. I'm not sure if it would look too cheesy or bling-ish or not. Thanks for the tip on the clearcoat!

How about a paint on pinstripe? Or a vinyl but you would have to hide the edges really well.

I wouldn't do it. In my opinion, it will be the epitome of cheese and just not look right. Subtle gold leaf pinstripes on a brown car are not bad, but it really does not belong in the interior.

BTW, if brown is the new "in" color, it just goes to support my opinion that, stylistically at least, it is the 1970's all over again...

I belong to another forum, and the guy that set up the site, and administrates, is a professional sign painter, letters race cars , etc. :shock: He is also a helluva nice guy, and I'm sure he would answer any questions you might ask him, and answer honestly ! 😀 http://www.doverdragstrip.com is the site, the guys name is Dino. It's a free site to be a standard member, just sign up and you can post, or PM(private message)him. User name dinotheweirdo.
You never know, you might even like the site. 😀 ...............................mickey-d :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor