Good 16" sub $200 Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Time to replace the 11.5 year old tires on my truck. I live in Iowa and am poor so I want tires that will work in 2 feet of snow, basically a hurricane, and mud/gravel.

$200 or lower per tire is my budget. Never bought tires for a truck before.

Throw up some recommendations. My dad liked his Bridgestone duelers but he had a 4x4 96 blazer. I have a peg leg 76 f250 with 16 (not 16.5) wheels. 245/75/16 seems to be close to stock size and that's what is on there now, 245/75/16 Yokohama Geolandar ATS.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Well first off, you'll need LT rated, ten ply tires for that truck. I'm assuming you don't daily drive it? What do you want out of the tires? Traction, looks, price? Decent all around all terrain style tire is a Cooper Discoverer AT3. Should be about $200 each. Check Tirerack.com. they have a few below $200 that have great reviews and decent all terrain tread. Highway tread will usually be cheaper and easier to find though.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Well first off, you'll need LT rated, ten ply tires for that truck. I'm assuming you don't daily drive it? What do you want out of the tires? Traction, looks, price? Decent all around all terrain style tire is a Cooper Discoverer AT3. Should be about $200 each. Check Tirerack.com. they have a few below $200 that have great reviews and decent all terrain tread. Highway tread will usually be cheaper and easier to find though.
I second the vote on Cooper Discoverer tires.

Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Coopers are a great choice.
I've had great luck with the BF Goodrich Commercial Traction tires. Put the first set on my 2004 F250 Super Duty 4x4 in 2013 a year before "snowpocalypse Buffalo 2014". I was driving through snow over the top of the front bumper with them (and 4 wheel drive) and never got stuck.
118.JPG 036.JPG

I got about 40,000 miles out of them running them year round for the last 3 years. I replaced them with the same tire last year and for the 265-75r-16 they were at $185.00 per tire here in Buffalo.

Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Truck is a daily driver, winter beater, all weather vehicle. 80 mile round trip to work every day.

Reactions: 1 user

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
I had the duelers on my 2015 Silverado. The were the factory tires. Only got about 45k on them before i had to replace them. I hve the Cooper Discover A/Ts on it now. Will have to wait for the snow to fly to see how the work. They have a nice looking tread pattern. And were under 200 a piece.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Cooper aren't quite what they were years back, but decent for the money. If you have a Costco or Sam's club nearby it's worth the $50 membership fee to get the bonus rebates. Ever month or two they waffle brands, and play your cards right you get $100/off 4 instant rebate, free installation and balancing as a bonus rebate, free lifetime flat repair/balancing, and, free tire replacement road hazard on the original vehicle.

Added together with pricing that's about equal to various online outlets it's the way to go.

Really if you want the best overall tire you're at competing goals though...

A mud tire is designed to throw material out of the way to get traction, and a snow tire wants to grip and hold material to obtain traction. So you're not going to get 9.5/10 ratings for both at the same time, maybe a 7/10 a tire that's ok/good at both, or good at one great at another.

Also, ride on a true mud tire won't be quiet or comfortable on the highway.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Another vote for the Coopers, ran them on my dually, and I live on a dirt/mud/"gravel" road

Plus, made in USA (at least they were a couple years ago when I last bought them)

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The mileage you’re describing (if you go to work every day like every red blooded American should), then I’m a Cooper Weathermaster fan with studs. By the time spring comes around you can de-stud them, which is a good time. Then need only two for the following winter. There is nothing better I’ve found in the snow than Cooper weather masters.

Is this for the ‘burb that took 200 pages to find a bad cam?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor