Good car(s) for a high schooler in a hick town?

S-10

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ticketsspek

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2018
Ward County, ND
Ha. I mistook your thread title as you were the adult looking for a car for their high school aged kid.

Ah, to be an invincible teen again.

Regardless, I would honestly just pick the one with the least rust
This sounds like a great plan, but then again, I could bring it into my welding class and just weld the rust holes shut, if it has rust holes

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If the truck is a 4 cyl/ 5 speed, it'll save a small fortune in fuel over the cutlass

Been trying to buy one for a commuter myself. I have decided CL and Facebook marketplace are both full of bullshitters/liars/morons

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

350Cutty

Apprentice
Dec 20, 2018
Miami, FL
Perfect car for a high school kid would be like a '03+ Crown Vic. Plenty of parts available for it since it has the 4.6L V8and 4r70w. Reliable, safe, plenty of fun, easy to mod. A Gbody is an awesome car to have, but being that they're so old and parts are hard to find now, it can be kind of a headache if you don't have another car to get you around while you wait for parts to come in. Just my 2 cents as a 27 year old who has loved muscle cars since he was a kid and has had tons of cars and didn't even have somewhere where he could really work on them.

• Agree

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Dang, 0 cutlass votes on a g body site.... either we all closet hate our rides or we’re trying to keep them a secret.

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
ND is brutal in the winter, and if you're near oilfield traffic, I would use your welding class to weld a ranch hand bumper to a ranch hand bumper to a city bus for self preservation.

Reactions: 1 user

350Cutty

Apprentice
Dec 20, 2018
Miami, FL
Dang, 0 cutlass votes on a g body site.... either we all closet hate our rides or we’re trying to keep them a secret.
Shh! More parts for us. Lol. Nah, I just know from experience it be tought for a high schooler. Especially nowadays, performance parts stores are dying, hard to find any here in Miami. There's less and less mechanics around that know carburated cars, and gbody parts and real tough to find. If it's you only means of transportation it's gonna suck. And if you have harsh winter, cold starts are gonna suck too. Plus a lightweight rwd V8 car in the snow? I wouldn't recommend it either.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Take this from a former Wahpeton resident. I had a Cutlass I bought when I turned 15, redid the engine and other stuff before I got my license, drove it once or twice in the snow and it was fine for the car but I had no cold weather starting aides and it was tough to get going in the winter. Not worth rusting it out.

Starting a project on a rusty car gets not fun pretty fast.

I parked it and drove mom or dads car in the winter. When I was 16 the next summer I bought an 88 Cherokee and drove that in the winter.

A g body is a good summer car, not a winter car. If you want a good beater get an lt1 Caprice, Cherokee or s10.

A 4.3 efi Monte Carlo would do well with snow tires if you could find one since the efi would actually make it run, but anything with a carb in ND is just a pain in the butt to work well unless it lives on a block heater.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If you do get the Cutlass, put it for sale or part it out on here after it gets wrecked. Every teen crashes their first car, especially in rural areas. Just don't crush or scrap it!!!
False.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Get the cutlass. Learn how to drive and fix basic *ss RWD. Those don't exist past 1988.
I daily my Regal, I have for 5 years. My only other car has been a '70 4 door tbird that was more rust than car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor