Good donor car frames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackCatBuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2016
i apologize for two posts in rapid succession, but as I said in my last one, I bought my Regal for $300. The reason I bought it is because all the other cars under $1k had awful frames, and I mean AWFUL. The Regal I have has a very rusty frame, I won't sugarcoat it. It's not a lost cause I hope, I'm going to try to catch it if it hasn't already gotten to a point beyond usefulness. I've read that G bodies have fairly soft frames in terms of drag racing. I believe the term was G body twist or shuffle. Anyways, I plan to try a good street/strip build for this car, and if I reach a point where I know I'll need a new frame I was wondering what cars out there have compatible frames and are commonly found? I Just want to consider my options. I know El Caminos and Caballeros won't work, is there anything else that will not?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Only another g body frame will fit. Not wagons or el Camino. 2dr or 4dr are the same, only difference then becomes the year because after 81 IIRC the front frame horns are longer compared to 78-81.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Wagon frames will work just need some minor modification, rear mount on pass side needs to be cut off and a new hole drilled for the body mount. I did this on a 85 regal using the frame from a 80 wagon.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
G body frames are not weak, they served the purpose for about 3 decades so far. It's easy to upgrade the frame to handle power, the C channel needs to be boxed and all the factory welds need to be checked out repaired where needed and the suspension points need to be strengthened. I would do that first before doing anything else so you can also check the body mount locations on the body to see what condition they are in.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

BlackCatBuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2016
G body frames are not weak, they served the purpose for about 3 decades so far. It's easy to upgrade the frame to handle power, the C channel needs to be boxed and all the factory welds need to be checked out repaired where needed and the suspension points need to be strengthened. I would do that first before doing anything else so you can also check the body mount locations on the body to see what condition they are in.
That sounds like a good plan, i just don't know how good the frame on my car is now. I feel like it would be alot easier to do all those repairs and modifications with a frame out of another car for now

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That sounds like a good plan, i just don't know how good the frame on my car is now. I feel like it would be alot easier to do all those repairs and modifications with a frame out of another car for now

on a car that was sold for $300 I wouldn't be just concerned about the frame.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor