Good engine cleaner/detailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Friends..I have a show coming up and would like to detail under my hood. I used to use CD2 engine detailer. It was a 2 bottle kit with a degreaser and an engine shine detailer. This would leave the engine and all black components bright shinny black with no residue and would last a while. Well it appears it is long off the market. I tried the Gunk Shine and wow...what garbage. It does not leave a bright shine and after a day or so...it turns to a sticky coating that attracts all kinds of dirt and grime and is a pain to get back off. I am in need of suggestions as I'd like my engine and bay to be clean, bright and have a good shine....what's out there like the old CD2? Thank you!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
WD40?

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Really WD40? Would have never thought that for an engine detailer. I really miss CD2 Engine Detailer...stuff was amazing. Post degreasing and drying...how would I go bout using WD to shine up and detail? Also I have a chrome undercarriage, how will the WD affect it if it drips down on it?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I've used tire dressing on hoses and stuff like that. Very light amounts of gel type armorall tire dressing. I've had good results with just normal cleaning using Gunk Heavy Duty Gel.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Friends..I have a show coming up and would like to detail under my hood. I used to use CD2 engine detailer. It was a 2 bottle kit with a degreaser and an engine shine detailer. This would leave the engine and all black components bright shinny black with no residue and would last a while. Well it appears it is long off the market. I tried the Gunk Shine and wow...what garbage. It does not leave a bright shine and after a day or so...it turns to a sticky coating that attracts all kinds of dirt and grime and is a pain to get back off. I am in need of suggestions as I'd like my engine and bay to be clean, bright and have a good shine....what's out there like the old CD2? Thank you!

Crap! I didn't realize it had been discontinued. I have about 1/2 a can left.

I've used WD-40 on lawn equipment, dirt bikes etc. You may want to spray it on a rag rather than spraying in you engine bay, at least around the chrome. It won't hurt the chrome, but you'll probably be cleaning off the WD-40.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Check out this link......
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/76714-cd2-replacement.html

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yes, spray on a rag. It has a light solvent in it to do a little cleaning, and is hydrophobic being oil-based, and will help prevent rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor