Good News Maybe for EVs?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There will always be debates about EV technology, but here's something that looks promising for "smaller" battery development for EVs and in general. Cheaper and better doesn't always go together, but MIT seems to be on to something good, if the reporting is accurate. A new concept of a battery using aluminum and sulfur for electrodes, and molten salt for electrolyte. All cheap and abundant materials. If this works out, it could be a game changer. Best part is, NO BRIDGING in the cells, and non-flammable. No special requirments needed for corrosion controls, either. It generates its own heat during charging and discharging to keep the salts from freezing. It's sealed so no escaped gas, no odors. It sounds promising, not just for EVs, but for small battery use. If it can keep a good charge and get longer use, whoever owns this patent may become very rich very soon.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
'Tis but one of a number of ideas I've seen floating around, I'm really pulling for the cheap/not exotic solutions to pan out. This is getting shoved down our throats like it or not, so the cheaper and less bad/dumb it can be the better. Plus battery breakthroughs will carry over to stuff I actually care about so this is something I check in on every now and again.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
I have no doubt that in the next decade or two, there will be battery advancements that will change the world as much as cell phones have. Well maybe not that much, but similar.

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
battery’s are what’s holding back EVs. With my ebikes they are the limiting factor of performance and speed. And especially determine the price point.
Here’s one of my bikes made from all used parts and reclaimed batteries. 45mph & 2 wheel drive.
2F15CA80-2589-4B10-8E5A-64C17DF3DC89.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
You'd really have to be pathological to hope it doesn't work. But years away, if at all. As we know from solid state batteries, there's a big leap from theories and lab mockups to something that can actually be manufactured.

Last edited:

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Synical me wonders if all the gas and oil lobbyists and their employers have got into the battery game to know if they will allow it to succeed

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Synical me wonders if all the gas and oil lobbyists and their employers have got into the battery game to know if they will allow it to succeed

The thing that gets me with the oil industry is the fact that they're really an energy industry. If they don't want to get crushed going forward, they really should see if that way themselves and invest accordingly for the long term. Or perhaps they are and I'm just not seeing it.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
The thing that gets me with the oil industry is the fact that they're really an energy industry. If they don't want to get crushed going forward, they really should see if that way themselves and invest accordingly for the long term. Or perhaps they are and I'm just not seeing it.

Plotting Mr Burns GIF

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor