Good source for vintage/NOS upholstery fabrics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Hey guys. Any of you have any recommendations for places that stock/ship hard-to-find vintage fabrics and materials for re-doing interiors? Also...Any of you know the number/spec for the textured blue velour in the '83 Regal? (photos below) Thanks.

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
SMS is the go-to for obsolete/NOS/hard to find, but be sure you're sitting down when you call them.

Check with a local shop first, some of the more common fabrics are available through their usual suppliers, and at a much more budget-friendly rate.

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Hey guys. Any of you have any recommendations for places that stock/ship hard-to-find vintage fabrics and materials for re-doing interiors? Also...Any of you know the number/spec for the textured blue velour in the '83 Regal? (photos below) Thanks.

That interior looks awful nice to be messing with

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I bought all of the OEM material for both of my Malibus from SMS. If you want an EXACT match I would suggest sending them a small sample of what you need. I never knew this but there are many dye lots to certain cloths. I found out the hard way when I was trying to get the cloth for my 81.
Also theyre not cheap. When I bought the Olds cloth that I used for my wagon I bought a total of 12 yards. 5 vinyl, 5 patterned cloth, and 2 solid cloth for the head and arm rests. Shipped to my door it was over $1100. It seems the average price for cloth is $80-95 a yard. I think its 60" wide.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
^^^^^^ what he said the cloth/ vinyl was 85 a yard I belive but I wanted original dark carmine red because im Completely insane according to my wife

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
mikester Wow! $1,100! Main thing I want to do is add a recliner mechanism to the driver’s side of the split bench. I don’t know if that’s something that can be done or not. Clutch, Yes, the original upholstery is actually in great shape. Plan B was to get some buckets and re-upholster to match the rest of the interior. Seems like LeBaron Bonney seems to have a lot of vintage fabrics.

Last edited:

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I had a neighbor do my seats and it was 1500 cash all because I wanted original material luckily my door panels were in nice shape

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
mikester Wow! $1,100! Main thing I want to do is add a recliner mechanism to the driver’s side of the split bench. I don’t know if that’s something that can be done or not. Clutch, Yes, the original upholstery is actually in great shape. Plan B was to get some buckets and re-upholster to match the rest of the interior. Seems like LeBaron Bonney seems to have a lot of vintage fabrics.

Looking at your interior Im thinking SMS will have that cloth. First thing I would do if I were you, go to an upholstery shop in your area and look at the Detroit Book for the year of the car. Its a book that upholstery shops use to match cloths and vinyls. You can look up the exact pattern and color number. Then I would call SMS. Ask them if they have that material. If they do then ask them how many different dye lots they have. They will send you small samples. Usually 1" x 2".
If you cant find a shop with a set of Detroit books, maybe send your headrest out to them. I would overnight it just to cut down the chance of it getting lost. I did that with a custom made spare tire cover that was made out of the 2 cloths that I needed for my 81.
They have a huge amount of OEM cloths. I bought 81 Pontiac and 81 Olds cloth in Medium Jadestone for the interior of my Malibu. I was trying to match the custom interior that the previous owner had done and they had multiple rolls of each color.
As far as LeBaron Bonney, I think they deal with older vehicles but I might be wrong. Theres another place in I think MI but I dont think thay have the selection SMS has. Plus the guy gave me a hard time about sending 3 samples instead of 2 which pissed me off a little considering his prices were the same as SMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor