MONTE CARLO Goodmark replacement fenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Has anyone had experience with Goodmark’s replacement fenders for an 81-88 Monte Carlo? How well do they fit, how much body work is needed to ensure they’re straight?
I’m currently weighing my options on patching the ones I’ve got together versus how much time one of these will save me.

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
Well, I've never used Goodmark fenders either, but I've bought a goodmark bumper and wheel opening molding. Fit was fine. Molding was flimsy compared to original so expect their fenders are thinner steel than original.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Has anyone had experience with Goodmark’s replacement fenders for an 81-88 Monte Carlo? How well do they fit, how much body work is needed to ensure they’re straight?
I’m currently weighing my options on patching the ones I’ve got together versus how much time one of these will save me.
any replacement fender is going to need some time/work to be straight and fit true.the time spent patching the one's you have now vs working replacements might be for not when the rust comes back.just my.02

Reactions: 1 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
any replacement fender is going to need some time/work to be straight and fit true.the time spent patching the one's you have now vs working replacements might be for not when the rust comes back.just my.02
I’ve got 3 chances to fix a fender correctly, but I couldn’t weld sheet metal if my life depended on it. I do enjoy bodywork though, so it’ll just be more practice.

Of the 3 fenders I’ve got, 2 of them look like someone tried to pull the header panel off while everything was still bolted together, and one of those needs both bottom edges of it replaced because it looks like it was dropped. The other needs a lot of straightening.
I’ve got an SS fender, but half of its wheel arch is puddy, and every bolt hole for the outer portion of the inner fender is just gone. The fender is really straight otherwise.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I was just searching for aftermarket fender info & came across this thread.

I'm in a similar situation where I have several used fenders that I've been using for mock-up purposes on my taller inner wheel tub experiment up front on a 78 Malibu. Since they were all cheap, they're not exactly pristine (4qty @ $50 investment). I found Goodmark & Sherman as the options for new/aftermarket. At around $250 each that's not too bad for a fresh e-coated fender but shipping tacks on an additional $50ea. I'm debating the direction. Once you pay to have the inner portion blasted + strip the exterior would I be close to even (time/labor + materials) by just purchasing the reproduction units??

Hopefully there is more input from other on this subject.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

I'm in a similar situation where I have several used fenders that I've been using for mock-up purposes on my taller inner wheel tub experiment up front on a 78 Malibu. Since they were all cheap, they're not exactly pristine (4qty @ $50 investment). I found Goodmark & Sherman as the options for new/aftermarket. At around $250 each that's not too bad for a fresh e-coated fender but shipping tacks on an additional $50ea. I'm debating the direction. Once you pay to have the inner portion blasted + strip the exterior would I be close to even (time/labor + materials) by just purchasing the reproduction units??

IMO nothing beats OEM.

Places (sometimes) advertise 'oem thickness' but what they leave out is the quality of the steel grade itself, recycled content, etc.

They repop tailgates for classic pickups. 'Same gauge and thickness as original' sit on it and it bends to a u shape.

Besides, you still need to factor in surface prep of the ecoat, and swearing for 3 hours trying to get things lined up.

Aftermarket is the market of last resort.

• Agree

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
GoodMark is probably using either 19 or 18 ga steel for their raw material so what it comes down to is how crisp and clean the finished product is when it leaves the press and how many times they whack it to get the shape they want and how new the dies are. The other point here is how accurately the inner braces and supports mimic the factory versions and if all the mounting holes for things like bumpers and gaskets and clips are where they ought to be and done in the correct diameter.

After that, there is almost always going to be fit and finish work necessary to get that consistent gap between adjacent panels and to get the surfaces smooth. The only way to know how much work will be needed is to remove the e-coating, or shoot over it if you wish, with a good epoxy or high build primer, shoot a second light contrast color "Check" coat over that, and start block sanding. The highs and lows will eventually show up and tell the tale. Along with this, there is the not so small matter of making new and old panels "talk" to each other so as to achieve that smooth professional look to the finish. Factory panels have their own share of issues starting with how crisp and neat the factory stamping was when it was punched out and how much abuse it has suffered since. Some of the factory dies got some serious use and were mostly used up by the time they were sold to the aftermarket. That high degree of wear can often account for why panels supposedly made using factory presses and dies seem to look so unfinished and sloppy.

For myself I have a Good Mark door panel in my shop just waiting to be unpackaged and fitted to an inner door skin for my 85 Monte SS. The preliminary inspection of the panel on delivery looked good but what I actually will get to work with have to wait until I initially fit the skin and get that first look at what results I get. Since the inner skin is, itself, anything but pristine and original, I will have to make sure that I get it as close to its original shape and dimensions as possible before I can even think about hanging that new skin.

With your fender, when you install it, you will have to shim it just as it was shimmed originally at the factory and start from there. Before you do that you will have to check your door hinges and make sure the door is hanging straight and aligned to the front edge of the quarter panel ahead of the rear wheel opening and gapped to get a consistent width at the door edge. If the hinge pins and bushings have worn to where the door drops or droops when you open it, then they need to be replaced and the door hung and aligned correctly before you can move on to the fender. Trying to set the fender to door gap to a door that drops or droops will drive you nuts and you could find that your door has just damaged the fender to door edge of your brand new fender when you try to open that door as a test. Essentially, the goal here is to see the panels, starting from the rear quarter panel, "Flow" into each other, one after the other, so that all the seams and panel breaks and other geographic points of interest in the metal align flawlessly from one panel to the next. And, just to complicate matters, that fender to door relationship also has to include the relationship between the fender and the hood; there is a gap there that has to be set as well, so you will be moving the fender in multiple directions to get things right. Are we having fun, yet??

This is not a show car exercise, although show builders do take this to the absolute extreme in the pursuit of perfection. This is just basic fit and finish. That said, it is not an exercise that can be omitted or skimped on because, once you shoot your color coat and get it out in the sun, any mis-alignment, dings, high spots, or tweaks, will be mercilessly exposed for the world to see.

Nick

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa

If I go aftermarket, I’ll be leaving the E-coat on just to help the fender last a little longer. If you’ve got the time to spare, fixing the OE ones you’ve got might be more worth your while.
GoodMark is probably using either 19 or 18 ga steel for their raw material so what it comes down to is how crisp and clean the finished product is when it leaves the press and how many times they whack it to get the shape they want and how new the dies are. The other point here is how accurately the inner braces and supports mimic the factory versions and if all the mounting holes for things like bumpers and gaskets and clips are where they ought to be and done in the correct diameter.

After that, there is almost always going to be fit and finish work necessary to get that consistent gap between adjacent panels and to get the surfaces smooth. The only way to know how much work will be needed is to remove the e-coating, or shoot over it if you wish, with a good epoxy or high build primer, shoot a second light contrast color "Check" coat over that, and start block sanding. The highs and lows will eventually show up and tell the tale. Along with this, there is the not so small matter of making new and old panels "talk" to each other so as to achieve that smooth professional look to the finish. Factory panels have their own share of issues starting with how crisp and neat the factory stamping was when it was punched out and how much abuse it has suffered since. Some of the factory dies got some serious use and were mostly used up by the time they were sold to the aftermarket. That high degree of wear can often account for why panels supposedly made using factory presses and dies seem to look so unfinished and sloppy.

For myself I have a Good Mark door panel in my shop just waiting to be unpackaged and fitted to an inner door skin for my 85 Monte SS. The preliminary inspection of the panel on delivery looked good but what I actually will get to work with have to wait until I initially fit the skin and get that first look at what results I get. Since the inner skin is, itself, anything but pristine and original, I will have to make sure that I get it as close to its original shape and dimensions as possible before I can even think about hanging that new skin.

With your fender, when you install it, you will have to shim it just as it was shimmed originally at the factory and start from there. Before you do that you will have to check your door hinges and make sure the door is hanging straight and aligned to the front edge of the quarter panel ahead of the rear wheel opening and gapped to get a consistent width at the door edge. If the hinge pins and bushings have worn to where the door drops or droops when you open it, then they need to be replaced and the door hung and aligned correctly before you can move on to the fender. Trying to set the fender to door gap to a door that drops or droops will drive you nuts and you could find that your door has just damaged the fender to door edge of your brand new fender when you try to open that door as a test. Essentially, the goal here is to see the panels, starting from the rear quarter panel, "Flow" into each other, one after the other, so that all the seams and panel breaks and other geographic points of interest in the metal align flawlessly from one panel to the next. And, just to complicate matters, that fender to door relationship also has to include the relationship between the fender and the hood; there is a gap there that has to be set as well, so you will be moving the fender in multiple directions to get things right. Are we having fun, yet??

This is not a show car exercise, although show builders do take this to the absolute extreme in the pursuit of perfection. This is just basic fit and finish. That said, it is not an exercise that can be omitted or skimped on because, once you shoot your color coat and get it out in the sun, any mis-alignment, dings, high spots, or tweaks, will be mercilessly exposed for the world to see.

Nick
An aftermarket fender is small potatoes to me at this point even with everything you said, because I’ve got to do all of that and then some. Every panel save for the body shell and the rear bumper cover that will be going on here is from a different car, heck even my doors are from an 86 and an 88 respectively. When I bought the car, it didn’t have a front clip on it, all of it was disassembled prior to being stored outside, so it needs to be set from scratch anyway. At this point, I need to save all the time I can, since everything will need some filler on it and needs realigned properly.

I’ll get pictures of what I’ve got to straighten out on the SC fenders I’ve got and what needs replaced on the SS one later today, but both prospects of fixing either scare the begeebus out of me since it’s either a lot of pushing/hammering in very tight quarters or welding a very long stretch of fender.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Who was it said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step?

That aside, I do agree that you have a lot of work ahead of you. Myself, I am not in much better shape as all the sheet metal forward of the firewall on my 85 is off as well; removed and set aside some time ago. So is the driver's door, and soon the passenger's door as well. They both need to be reskinned.
As for hanging and aligning the doors, one tip that I heard of and used was to drill through the hinge halves using a 1/8th bit while they were still attached to the body and door. This gives me an aligning point to use when I go to rehang the door and from which, If I need to tweak them, I have a starting point. My own hinges are good; new pins and bushings. I spent years out in the salvage yard harvesting hinges off crusher candidates and stashing them. Waste not want not.

I'll wish you both luck and access to a generous supply of patience. Door skins will not be the end of the road for me, I still have to replace the both the inner and outer rocker panel on the passenger's side and they don't make inner rocker panels for that application that I have found. Last one I needed was for the driver's side and that I made from scratch using flat metal and grafting one length to another to get where I needed to be, about 6 feet or so long from the firewall to inside the quarter panel.

Nick

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
This is what I’m working with:

The SS fender wasn’t as bad rust wise as my memory lead me to believe, but it’s got a rather large kink down low. I think someone caught it on a parking space curb.
F95E72F5-450D-4235-863A-8C7E33770E68.jpeg

06E4B232-E851-4550-BC64-7ED2BA9D5826.jpeg

1F2874B5-BD3A-4078-8FE5-CBD4F4BB329F.jpeg

Couldnt tell how bad the rear was, leaves were frozen solid to it.

Then there’s the SC fenders, starting with the ones I got with the car. It’s rusted through in a single spot from underneath, and the body line up front looks like it was beaten like a drum- it’s almost a washboard. And the leading edge of the fender is really bent outwards from someone pulling on the header panel.
C11887CD-DA10-49EE-A92B-99C917FF1EA2.jpeg

23DE19D7-84AD-4DD2-B63B-F67F1FBDD092.jpeg

I’ll let the photos of the silver one speak for themselves.
7FF0E027-5F4E-4101-9E8D-2C29465EEB03.jpeg

5FDCC6F1-9C31-46AE-9E36-625317E07B7E.jpeg

2930FA42-4A3B-404F-B4B8-0322F1E9577A.jpeg

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor