Goodyear Buys Cooper Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
The story I read said Goodyear said they bought Cooper because they (Goodyear) are looking to expand their presence in China.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Cooper is American made is it not?
Like most American companies they make some here. Mainly truck tires are here but they're supporting the China worker's paycheck with a tire company there. I though I also came across they have production in Mexico too so those are still (North)American made.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I've more and more been paying up for American made, just think its sad that all these company's are so worried about supporting china. Just like my go to is UMI because they are all American. Im actually getting ready to buy tires, i was looking at the Cooper Zeon RS3-S or the Firestone Firehawk. What sucks is my favorite tire for the older cars is the mastercraft Avenger GT ive bought countless sets of those tires and they will probably go to crap now

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have the Cooper RS3-S on my 2+2 because it's one of the few non directional summer tires that gives me the option to rotate side to side.

The Cobras are also nice because the only other option really for 15" tires are BFG Radial T/A's and they look straight out of 1992 and never moved on, which is OK for some people but not my style. Plus they are more expensive for a tire that is going to dry rot out long before I actually wear it out.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Every tire company goes through cycles.

Like I said elsewhere... you know, back in the 1990s the Goodyear wrangler wasn't half bad as a decent 4x4 on-road tire. BFG all terrains were the overpriced hillbilly dream for all terrain which got crap gas mileage and didn't live up to wear expectations.

Cooper was the really good tire of its day in the passenger market. Michelin ebbed and flowed, as did uniroyal.

Every half dozen or dozen years a car company changes their rubber formulations, and introduces different tread patterns that impact traction, water channeling, grip as temp changes, etc.

Rather than blind brand loyalty, read reports on tire tests for the brand/models you're considering. They'll tell you how identical size tires on the same car handled wet/try skid pad. They'll tell water channel rate. You can visually see siping. It will say DB level in same car same speed for different tires. Every redesign on a tire they run it again.

Do that, and it doesn't matter who owns or makes what. If it fits your balance of needs and budget, good for you. It always amazes me how much time and money so many guys spend on cars, and how little time they spend researching their motor oil and tires....

Reactions: 1 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I think a lot of people come up with their brand loyalty from experience more than just blindly following something. Just like I previously mentioned about mastercraft Avenger GT tires, i love them only because of the price and the excellent luck I've had out of many sets of them. If they suddenly became crap i wouldn't buy them anymore then i would research a different tire to be my preferred choice. I think what many are saying is that they hope that the tires that they have grown to like for each persons reasons don't drastically change in either price or quality and become more like the new parent company of overpriced crap or become the Chinese specials that are sure to throw you blindly off a cliff when you've let your guard down.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor