Goodyear eagle gt II tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stss96

n00b
Jun 5, 2020
Recently picked up an 87 Monte with 68k original miles, it has a set of Goodyear eagle gt II tires on it that look like new, good thread no cracking or dry rotting etc. from the dates on the tires they look to be from 1999, how safe are these to drive on? I plan on driving the car this summer to some car shows should I replace them?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
They are safe enough to drive the car onto a trailer and park it at a show to earn bonus points for authenticity. Keep them scrubbed and stacked for the next show, then bolt them on for the win. You will find it easier to find 17s or 18s these days, so perhaps the cost of a new set of shoes and socks will be worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Huck

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2020
Recently picked up an 87 Monte with 68k original miles, it has a set of Goodyear eagle gt II tires on it that look like new, good thread no cracking or dry rotting etc. from the dates on the tires they look to be from 1999, how safe are these to drive on? I plan on driving the car this summer to some car shows should I replace them?
I bought my '63 Studebaker Lark in 1998, with the eagle GT's on it. Loved the look. They lasted for about 20 years, with full tread but two gave up on, a trip to Southbend. They couldn't hold air. Discount Tire condemned the set. BTW the tires stayed in the garage mostly and had no cracks or dryrot.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's not necessarily what you see on the surface, although, yes, cracks and dried rubber are a problem.

It's also what you don't see which is the rubber and steel belt separate within the tire, and then as you drive, that tears free at best leaving you stranded flat, most likely with lots of metal damage around the wheelwell, and at worst in a wreck.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
10 years is max on collector car tires that are babied with indoor storage and should be inspected often for those last 4 years. 6 years max on everyday driver cars.

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Be careful those old tires get warmed up and start separating or belts break and those "EGGS" appear and it's all over, a sharp stone a pot hole a hard turn and POP you'll see that white blast of whatever and the day is over

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Be careful those old tires get warmed up and start separating or belts break and those "EGGS" appear and it's all over, a sharp stone a pot hole a hard turn and POP you'll see that white blast of whatever and the day is over
And, your quarter panel(s) are toast

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I have had 2 tires fail and damage my car due to age. Blow outs and cap seperation. The damage cost me more than replacing the tires would have. I will never roll on a set older than 10 years. That is the manufacturers lifetime expectation. So you may get lucky, I did for years but I'd say scrap em.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor