Got A Question About Doing An LS Swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Did you actually do some research first?

Or are you acting like Sponge Bob?

tmp_20918-22222073_895273123960000_5526959854774525415_n1145249357.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
LS swap means $$$$$$$$$$$ and then some more $$$$$$$$$$ and after that $$$$$$$$$$
And just as you think you have everything you need $$$$$$$$$$. There is like no way to save a few.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
LS swap means $$$$$$$$$$$ and then some more $$$$$$$$$$ and after that $$$$$$$$$$
And just as you think you have everything you need $$$$$$$$$$. There is like no way to save a few.
Lol, yep! I've attempted to "budget" swap the 5.3 into my Cutlass and that has been a joke! I typically keep receipts just for return purposes only and don't add totals to prevent getting mad at myself! However, I have a good idea of how deep into my pockets I've gotten already and "budget" is a non existant word!!!!
Hell, just in the valvetrain I will have right at $1500 because I bought a cam too big for stock springs, so had to get new springs, then machine work, then gaskets, new lifters/trays.......sh*t adds up fast! With the short block included I'm close to $3k, and still haven't started on the front drive stuff, turbo goodies, harness work, trans, blah blah blah!!!!!

I could've just put $1k into another gen1 350 for machining to a 355 and be done, but people around here are behind the times and don't really LS swap G bodies! At the last show, guys were telling me, "ya gotta go 383 now, that's where the power is!" I guess they all live under a rock and don't understand the power potential if these 6 bolt main motors with factory dished pistons and aluminum heads!!!! Camaro's, Chevelle's, Nova's....yep plenty LS swaps on those, but I wanna blow some minds!!!

Nobody ever said hotrodding was cheap, and it's true that if you wanna play, ya gotta pay!!!!

Rant over!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Woh don't rant at me. that was meant to be himourous. I'm in the middle of a money pit ls swap myself. And I've built many cars over the yrs so I know it ain't cheap. I'm only about half way down my parts list and I could've had a fresh 427 from one of my customers. But chose to stay with the LY6 because I know it'll be smother more efficient and has stupid potential.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Woh don't rant at me. that was meant to be himourous. I'm in the middle of a money pit ls swap myself. And I've built many cars over the yrs so I know it ain't cheap. I'm only about half way down my parts list and I could've had a fresh 427 from one of my customers. But chose to stay with the LY6 because I know it'll be smother more efficient and has stupid potential.
Ah man, the rant wasn't directed to anyone and I didn't believe it was to be disliked. I'm agreeing with what you said about the cost of such a swap. When one thinks they're done, more $$$ is required! I've also done many swaps over the years and understand how costly it becomes at a rapid pace!!!!
My post above was just me sharing my trials and tribulations of the current LS swap I'm working on, while also trying to get my car painted, interior, etc.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Sorry I miss understood. I thought you felt I was one of those old 383 guys hating on the ls swaps. I might be a bit touchy also because I just put a 700r in my Malibu to have that already done when I pull the 350 to find out I can't use the transmission anyway. By just put in I mean I haven't even driven it yet. because I have a 58tooth and e38 computer. The e38 won't operate a cable throttle body leaving me no place for the tvcable. So now I have to buy a 4l60-80 or something. So kaching Kaching lol. Only plus is maybe I could sell the 350 with the 700 as a package to someone pulling out a 6cyl or something.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Sorry I miss understood. I thought you felt I was one of those old 383 guys hating on the ls swaps. I might be a bit touchy also because I just put a 700r in my Malibu to have that already done when I pull the 350 to find out I can't use the transmission anyway. By just put in I mean I haven't even driven it yet. because I have a 58tooth and e38 computer. The e38 won't operate a cable throttle body leaving me no place for the tvcable. So now I have to buy a 4l60-80 or something. So kaching Kaching lol. Only plus is maybe I could sell the 350 with the 700 as a package to someone pulling out a 6cyl or something.
No worries. What I meant by the 383 guys are the people around here. Most, not all G body guys in Louisville are old school which is fine. They just can't get past the stroker motor philosophy. Yeah it's probably cheaper to throw a 383 in, but a turbo LS here isn't done a whole lot.
I'm in the same boat as you on the trans. I have a solid TCI 350 that is 10+ years old, but maybe has 5k miles or less on it. It would probably die a fast death behind the turbo 5.3 so I wanna sell it and get a 4l80 so I can have my overdrive back.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor