Got an 83 regal limited, trying to restore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennyjoe28

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2020
I’m new to the gbody world! Picked up a 83 regal limited with 84k last year just now starting to fix it up a little removed the dry rotted vinyl top, took trim off.... then seen lots of rust on the bottoms of the doors, rockers, rear fenders, wanting to change the front end to the 84-87 front end, looking for doors, fenders, front end header panel(84-87), taillights, and also wondering what bucket seats from another car will fit into the regal with the least fabricating? I know all seats are different but I don’t want a low seat where I sit on the floor. Like same set up as the factory seat but just buckets so I can build a console for the center. Wanting to put 6x9s in the rear deck but looked in the trunk and they look smaller than a 6x9 so wondering if there’s a kit to mount for 6x9s or if I’m going to have to cut new holes 😖. I live in Nashville Tennessee and have been looking and looking for part regals and regals in general around here and they’re very rare in these parts. Haha wish I could meet more people around here so I can learn more about these cars and work on them together to go to shows with!

Reactions: 1 user

Kennyjoe28

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2020
Most GM seats will fit but you'll need the bucket seat tracks for our cars to mount them. For replacing the 4x10's you'll need an adapter to mount 6x9's with out major hacking.

I’m sure the mounts don’t line up to the bolt holes do they I haven’t taken these seats out yet to see what I’m dealing with , I changed a bench to bucket seats in my 96 Sierra the inner track holes didn’t line up but the outer ones did so I marked them and put stainless bolts and nuts in. With the console I had to drill to the under side and watch for anything in the way of the drill bit. I just want to make sure the seats aren’t too tall in the back or too low for the bottoms like a Camaro would be. Wonder if I could just find some new regal bucket seats and make the interior look like a newer regal 🤷🏽‍♂️

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I’m new to the gbody world! Picked up a 83 regal limited with 84k last year just now starting to fix it up a little removed the dry rotted vinyl top, took trim off.... then seen lots of rust on the bottoms of the doors, rockers, rear fenders, wanting to change the front end to the 84-87 front end, looking for doors, fenders, front end header panel(84-87), taillights, and also wondering what bucket seats from another car will fit into the regal with the least fabricating? I know all seats are different but I don’t want a low seat where I sit on the floor. Like same set up as the factory seat but just buckets so I can build a console for the center. Wanting to put 6x9s in the rear deck but looked in the trunk and they look smaller than a 6x9 so wondering if there’s a kit to mount for 6x9s or if I’m going to have to cut new holes 😖. I live in Nashville Tennessee and have been looking and looking for part regals and regals in general around here and they’re very rare in these parts. Haha wish I could meet more people around here so I can learn more about these cars and work on them together to go to shows with!

Shoot me a pm if I can help out. For some reason it's hit or miss if I get notifications of a quote/reply to a post I make, probably this 7 year old phone I use.

Most of my parts horde and cars are either in a steel butler building up north or packed in containers I sent to a warehouse, but, I've got some limited stuff I forgot about in a barn loft at one of our properties over in conyers ga (zip 30012).

There's a passenger manual window/lock door shell that's missing glass (non-chrome trim style) that has a few dings but very little inner lip rust, fenders, and a few other odds and ends there. Header panels and tail lights were packed up though.

As for the rest of your upgrades - you need new bumper filler panels to go with the header panel so add those to your list. If you had a full bench seat you need to grab the inboard mount pedestals for the floor near the trans tunnel. If you had the split bench seats then you can use your floor mounts for any other gbody bucket seat as a direct drop in and seat tracks are right in place.

Center console you will want the floor brackets off the trans tunnel to bolt in unless you're doing something custom. Either a regal/ttype/grand national or a cutlass/442 factory console will fit with your dash, you just remove the ashtray from under the radio first.

Fenders are regal-only, BUT, doors cam come off either a regal or cutlass rwd, 81-87 regal / 81-88 cutlass.

Reactions: 1 users

Kennyjoe28

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2020
Shoot me a pm if I can help out. For some reason it's hit or miss if I get notifications of a quote/reply to a post I make, probably this 7 year old phone I use.

Most of my parts horde and cars are either in a steel butler building up north or packed in containers I sent to a warehouse, but, I've got some limited stuff I forgot about in a barn loft at one of our properties over in conyers ga (zip 30012).

There's a passenger manual window/lock door shell that's missing glass (non-chrome trim style) that has a few dings but very little inner lip rust, fenders, and a few other odds and ends there. Header panels and tail lights were packed up though.

As for the rest of your upgrades - you need new bumper filler panels to go with the header panel so add those to your list. If you had a full bench seat you need to grab the inboard mount pedestals for the floor near the trans tunnel. If you had the split bench seats then you can use your floor mounts for any other gbody bucket seat as a direct drop in and seat tracks are right in place.

Center console you will want the floor brackets off the trans tunnel to bolt in unless you're doing something custom. Either a regal/ttype/grand national or a cutlass/442 factory console will fit with your dash, you just remove the ashtray from under the radio first.

Fenders are regal-only, BUT, doors cam come off either a regal or cutlass rwd, 81-87 regal / 81-88 cutlass.

Man this really helped out a a TON! Never knew I would need new fillers for the 84-87 header. My fillers are new and won’t need my header once I get the 84-87. But as for the doors I could use those my glass is fine and door panels are fine except the wood grain trim where the handle grab is is broken off when I got the car. I will end up re doing my panels myself anyway. They’re powered windows so not sure if the internals to the manual door would have the same set up inside it. For the bucket seats it has the bench with the flip down arm rest. Im in Nashville by my girlfriend lives in Cartersville Georgia and I’m down there every other weekend. I’ll have to see how far conyers is and can possibly swing by one weekend if that’s cool. I’d love to see all the gbody stuff! As for me removing my vinyl top I know I’ll need the side quarter glass from a hard top regal and the rear trim and will have to grind off the roof studs but for the rear glass trim is there already a way to mount those? Because when I took off the vinyl top the plastic inner clips were dry rotted and broke off. So there dosent look like there’s anything for the regular glass trim to mount to?! I wish I was able to find a GN that needed restoring around here 😞 I’d have everything I want t top ,buckets , grey interior, not big on the v6 id rather have a 350 in it but I can find one of those to put in it.

Attachments

• 50A796D4-4BF7-4B88-B52B-9FE17B174F1C.jpeg
    50A796D4-4BF7-4B88-B52B-9FE17B174F1C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 574
  • AC295728-C5D2-47F5-B4FC-E8394AA62DB2.jpeg
    AC295728-C5D2-47F5-B4FC-E8394AA62DB2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 573
  • 6BAA5FE3-ED5D-46F7-86F1-D36A8B2BB3D0.jpeg
    6BAA5FE3-ED5D-46F7-86F1-D36A8B2BB3D0.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 427
  • D7D09112-AACC-4D59-A8CF-DA8ADA266215.jpeg
    D7D09112-AACC-4D59-A8CF-DA8ADA266215.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 487
  • 0AF30EE4-6C89-41DF-ADF7-2F985499F58A.jpeg
    0AF30EE4-6C89-41DF-ADF7-2F985499F58A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 429
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor