Got bored & tried Faux Woodgraining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
2 practice attempts at my flame in woodgrain idea with taping area first.
First was on pvc fence post, color too dark for good pic.
2nd attempt I tried to blend in surrounding area better. Not too bad, but still not what I'm picturing.
20190801_194153.jpg
20190802_190849.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
The bad thing about this product is it dries fast which is great for production, but not for screwing around with super fine detail. I can let it dry & add over , but can't keep F'n with it or it will f up. The large sample in above pic under the flamed sample was my quickest part & I loose that detail trying to slow down.

Spraying a lighter color where the flame will be first is a thought, but I'm starting out on white already :rolleyes: . Topcoat is tinted, so maybe flame pattern outside sprayed in a mist coat lighter color before topcoat, aka GHOST FLAMES. Not really the vision in my head, but another option.
Need to check into what's available to tape out pattern other than taping or draying pattern on top of masking tape & free hand cutting out with razor blade, too slow.

Any Aquasurtech certified people here that are also airbrush artists? :unsure: Didn't think so, but when doing samples it helps just showing different people & seeing what stands out in both real life & in pictures, which don't do justice to the work. This is definitely one case where I'm really looking to see opinions to see what to persue further & good & bad comments are appreciated. Even if done by hourly rate at work, could be selling some of this.

If I were to start a company doing this , what would I call it? Joe Mo Faux ?:rofl:

Reactions: 1 user

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Fooled around with a few new brushes I just got tonight after my 12 hr day. $130 bucks for 4 specialty paint brushes & right now it's kind of a step backwards learning to use different items.
Tried a different method on the flame idea. My external stencil messed up, so I tried hand painting the outline, dried it & then went over everything with a 2nd color & patterns. Overworked the product & messed up the grain, but this flame method looks interesting ?? Camera pic sucks.
20190822_214923.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor