Got hosed on a Craigslist deal again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
So last week I thought I had made a solid deal with a guy on a set of gbody bucket seats I found on Craigslist. We both agreed that today (Sunday) at noon I would be there to purchase them. Been exited for 3 days to get these seats! I thought $150 for the seats and said he'd throw in the back seat for free was a seal. I contact him this morning to be sure it was a go and he says he sold them yesterday, WHAT!!! ARE YOU F-ING KIDDING ME!! I have been so PISSED and SICK about it all day! He says he got a call from "someone" yesterday that wanted to look at them and he didn't know it wasn't me, but jeez I would think a different phone number would give it away. Sorry I had to vent :soapbox:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that sucks and unfortunately crap like that is way too common these days......

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Could be worse - I have been sitting on parts for someone for 6 WEEKS. Good thing I have a bill of sale with a deposit against them; he has 8 days to come through or I am moving on. FWIW, that puts him a MONTH past due on the original agreed upon date. He said his Mom died, and I can work with that - stop communicating and my good graces wear out.

People suck.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Don't some people really t you off. Enough to take my good natured self off and p off a good humor man

• Agree

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
I've also been in contact with someone wanting some tires I have for sale and never hear from him either, I've reached out to him a couple times and he says yes he wants them but never an effort to come get them.
AGGRAVATING!!!

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I have 4 phone numbers :confused:

If it's a deal I can't live without, I take 1/2 off work, get cash and my truck/trailer and camp out at the guys house until they get home from school or work.

The first rule of Craigslist is the first one with cash walks away with what you are selling. There are too many deadbeats on Craigslist to do otherwise. If Someone hems and haws and tries to screw me down, they better have cash in their pocket and hand it over or I'm moving on.

I had a Cop try to by my 90K mile Cummins Dodge Ram. He test drove it twice, and kept trying to get me to lower the price by complaining about minor stuff like "the Dana 70 posi chatters a little around turns" (but didn't show cash, ever). Its a 18 years old truck (and he wasn't going to find a nicer/lower mile on one for what I was asking. A day later I sell the truck for what I was asking and he gets all pissed I didn't sell it to him, because he was somehow "first". F U dude. Aint nobody got time for that BS.

Richard Rawlins is a A-hole, but there is a reason he shows up early with a wad of cash.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Problems always occur when your buying or selling - as a seller I won't hold anything for anyone because of too many no shows. If a persons says he wants something , I won't give directions till he is ready come. If he says he is coming I tell him I will hold it for an hour or two and that's it. If a person really sounds like he wants something and is a distance away and can't make it till the week-end paypal me a non refundable deposit and have it stipulated non refundable. I hold myself to the same rules as a buyer and it has worked.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You weren't hosed, you just didn't get there first. UNGN summed it up perfectly. Life is too short. If you, as a buyer, see a deal you'd better jump on it. When dealing with flakey or nitpicky buyers you have to be blunt. This is business, not therapy. Cash is king and I don't care about your personal problems. You got the money or not?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You weren't hosed, you just didn't get there first. UNGN summed it up perfectly. Life is too short. If you, as a buyer, see a deal you'd better jump on it. When dealing with flakey or nitpicky buyers you have to be blunt. This is business, not therapy. Cash is king and I don't care about your personal problems. You got the money or not?

IMO ..... if the item is spoken for then the *seller is obligated to tell anyone who shows up with money that the item is tentatively sold and can add if the tentative deal falls through then the second guy can buy it. It's wrong to change a deal. If you don't intent to honor a deal you set up then don't make it, just be honest and say first person to show up with the cash gets it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I think you meant seller in the first line but I get what you're saying. If I get a call and a buyer says they're an hour away but headed my way then I certainly wouldn't sell it out from under them. I've had a seller do that to me so I understand how rude it is. However, if I get a call from a buyer who says they want it but can't make it over for a couple days, I let them know it's for sale until it's sold and tell them to call me back when they're ready to make the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor