got robbed on selling my 80 malibu..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you ask me he probably wasn't happy with a 305 so he blew it up and wants you to pay for a 350 and pay for it to be installed...if he didn't have some plan he'd return the car and demand for a full refund

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
its the buyers responsibility to check out the car and know what they are buying and if the motor allegedly seized how do you know what he did in those days after. maybe the moron did an oil change and didnt put in oil? maybe he held his foot on the gas and over revved the thing sky high.

either way dont feel bad and dont give him a dime. you sold it as is. which means as it is.

dyrt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2012
Yardville, NJ
Wait....the car is ONLY 32 years old. How can anything like this possibly just...happen? I swear it amazes me that people are so oblivious to reality. Best of luck dealing with it. Don't give any money back.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
let me play devil's advocate...as is doesn't always protect the seller, as is means the car is in the condition it was described so if was advertised in perfect condition that's the as is condition. In this sale with the seller dropping the price by $1,500 that could be interpreted that the seller knew there was a problem with the car and he just wanted to unload it. One other point is a 32 year old car that is advertised at $5,000 and selling for $3,500 has to be in better than good condition. The price implies that.

87BlazeLS gave some good pointers and it's a good thing to have something like this in the sales agreement..."the buyer has had the opportunity to have the vehicle inspected by a mechanic of his/her choice and has had an inspection performed or declined the opportunity"...

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
When I purchased Blaze it was from a young black guy that told me his grandfather owned the car since new.
He got sick and could not drive anymore. Car sat garaged for over 2 1/2 years or so. Then GF dies and willed
Blaze to son in law. He tried to get it running but could not, Parked in garage for another lengthy period.
I purchased the car for $850 in near Bone stock condition not running 305 H vin 200R4 bad.

So how did I know he told me the truth?

Title documents were never transferred from GF name to son in law Clue #1

3 year old Glove box papers showed last service work performed just several hundred
miles under what the Odometer said. Clue #2

Tires all looked brand new but were date coded 4 years prior Clue #3

All fuel in the tank smelled like varnish and was orange Clue #4

After one full year blaze is much improved but still requires some more work to finish.

jake

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Lose no sleep over this deal. It's got a new owner now-- don't look back. You have no legal obligation and it would be unwise to continue any further discussion with the buyer. As far as selling for $3500 on a $5000 asking price, that's on you. You didn't get robbed. You didn't have to sell it.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
DRIVEN said:
Lose no sleep over this deal. It's got a new owner now-- don't look back. You have no legal obligation and it would be unwise to continue any further discussion with the buyer. As far as selling for $3500 on a $5000 asking price, that's on you. You didn't get robbed. You didn't have to sell it.

X2- Don't even bother responding to this turd. If he beat the piss out of the car, it's on him. Too bad... End of story.

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Just make sure you know what the law is in your state, some states require you to fix anything wrong with the car before selling it. Even though you sell it as is you may be liable for repairs in your state.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Unless you make any specific warrantys or claims it is an as-is sale almost always. There are some very rare exceptions. I believe in Mass. you cannot sell a car that doesn't pass safety inspection. In this case of an engine failure it would be a nonpoint. Many states have Bill Of Sale forms that can be printed from their websites. Every one I've seen says AS-IS right on it. This is always a good idea in any sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor