GP aerocoupe rear leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwarge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2021
Tucson, az
Hello,

Has anyone had their aero coupes apart for replacing the seals or anything? If so could I get some education on how the rear A: goes together correctly and B: what exactly seals the rear? about 2 years ago I purchased a aero coupe. when I received the car it seemed to be in a body shop at some point in its life. the pervious owner bought it in the condition I got it in and just never got to fixing it up. the entire aero coupe kit was uninstalled and the entire car primed. so crappy quarter panel job done (in my opinion) and new doors instead (inside that awful bright green). since taking ownership I've tried (un)educated guesswork on how the rear is installed but have had issues since. I've got sealer on the metal trim window frame but other then that I did a dumb thing and tried seam sealing the larger fiberglass filler panel in to only half the car seals the passenger side is a water fall when tested with a water bottle. I did this about a year and a half ago and never thought to test it until recently. I've also tried getting help with my dads knowledge due to the fact that he also owns a GP aero coupe but he's in Maine. the time difference and life makes it difficult to just facetime to see his car and get the info I need cause his cars complete and he has never disassembled it since owning it since the early 90's. Luckily I'm in Arizona so rain isn't a major issue but I wanted the feel good of knowing the car is sealed. plus the monsoons here come quickly and would turn the trunk into a pool within an hour. any help would be greatly appreciated.

my build so far: 19886 Pontiac Grand Prix aerocoupe
Engine: 2002 5.3L iron LS ran on a Holley terminator
Fuel: aeromotive Stealth 450LPH in-tank pump setup
Trans: Super t-10 2 groove 2.43 First gear, American powertrain Sick seconds hydromax kit
wheels/: aero wheels 51 series 15x8 4 in BS fronts 15x10 4.5 BS rears
tires: fronts 265/50/r15 rears are 295/50/r15
suspension: UMI 2in drop coils Bilstein 24-009294/24-009492 shocks
interior: Gbodyparts.com door panels. entire cabin killmat sound deadened. 06 GTO power seats (cut factory tabs off and welded new tabs on the power rails) for the front
IMG_0467.JPEG
IMG_0482.jpg
IMG_0492.jpg
58770944953__F6DEA32D-0848-459E-83F3-27CE7B95B571.JPG
IMG_5015.JPG

Current Look.

IMG_5547.JPG

PS: first post on a thread so if I'm doing this wrong please let me know. thank you

edit: the more specific area I need help with is what seals the black panel from the factory trunk area… the rear window it self is a fresh install from a local glass company and works great. The “filler panel” that fills where the factory trunk should be sitting is where I need help. Thanks for all the replys

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

antonC4Gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2018
arizona
I have the pieces you need on Phoenix I'll post pictures when I get them together later

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor