GP Dash Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Does anyone have exprerience in removing the dash out of a 1986 GP. I have a squeek in the dash on the drivers side that bugging the hell out of me. I had a similar squeek in my 85 GP but it was not a bad. I've tried to find the info online and I've looked at trying to get a service manual for the interior but I've been unsucessful.

Thanks

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Are you trying to remove the entire instrument panel, or do you just want to remove enough to find and fix your noise? The best resource that you could have would be the factory service manual. If you can't find a service manual for a Grand Prix, then a manual for a Malibu would be your next best bet to use as a guide to help you. It won't be as good as the manual for the GP, but it should help.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Before you do that - try this:

Slap a touch of grease the hood bumper at the rear centre of the hood. This bumper can/will cause rattles and squeaking sounds that you would SWEAR are coming from the dash area. Just about every G-body owner has gone crazy trying to find the source of this noise at least once :D

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
thanks Clean and 85.....I'll grease that pad and see if that cures it and I'm thinking your right. It rained last nite and the squeek was not present for the first 10 minuted or so. Seems like the humidity helped.

and Clean, I also want to take out the 3.5" speakers and customise the dash to incorporate tweeters. I used the aftermarket kick panels for a mustang and cut them to mold into the door panel at the bottom of the door so I have 6" iffiniti kappa's. I have looked for a service manual but I can't seem to locate it. But if 85 is right about the squeek I can get by without the service manual. I was hoping a drawing have might me track down that squeek. If I can't get the info I figure to take the dash off I'll just keep removing bolts till it falls off.. :lol:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
85_SS said:
Before you do that - try this:

Slap a touch of grease the hood bumper at the rear centre of the hood. This bumper can/will cause rattles and squeaking sounds that you would SWEAR are coming from the dash area. Just about every G-body owner has gone crazy trying to find the source of this noise at least once :D

85 SS...you were right on with your advice and you saved me alot of frustation. I would have put in alot of time and effort and may not have found the cause of that squeek...

I owe you for that one....cheers

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I figured that would be it - don't worry all of us G-body owners have had that noise drive us insane at one time or another. And as you see - its the last thing you would think of for being the source of that noise...

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
FYI..dash removal would be in the GM Fisher body manuals for each year. The Division service manuals don't cover body stuff.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
crappy tire should have a chiltons manual that should cover the dash removal. I'll see if i can find mine for the regal and get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor