GP Gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

A while back, I bought a set of factory Rally gauges for my GP to replace the dummy lights. Since I parked it, I never installed them. What's involved / how do you install them or should I just have a shop do it? Obviously you've gotta attatch them from behind the dash, but how about for the wiring?

And also, I want to get a tach for it. I've got the cluster with the speedo and the big *ss clock. Well, I'm leaving the big *ss clock because it's a conversation piece. lol. So I want to get a small column mount tach. A couple inches big. Buying it is no issue, but I've got the same question for that as the Rallys, how do I install it (or just take it to a shop)?

THANKS!!

:D

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
IIRC (been a while since I had mine out) the gauge pkg just plugs into a big connector in the back. Have to look at the books to be sure, but that part of it is simple enough.

Can't remember if there are switches at the oil/coolant sending points that you'd have to swap out for sending units. A trip to the parts store would tell you (if there are diff. parts for gauges vs. lights)

The '85 would be CCM so I really dunno on that. Best case is the sending units are already there and it'll just work. Worst case you have to swap out the two sensors.

As for the tach, on your distributor cap there should be an empty plugin right next to the coil wire that says 'TACH' :) Get a wire with the right connector and run it to the tach. I'm sure your new tach would have instructions for running wires for lighting/ground etc. but its about that simple.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Yes, the gauge pkg just plugs in. I don't believe you have to change any pins in the back, but you'll need to buy an oil pressure sender for gauges, and a temp sender for gauges. Search around on this forum and the other gbody sites....it's been talked about plenty.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
So for the Rally gauges, how much are these senders? Do I just go to the parts store and say "I need an oil pressure sender and a temperature sender"? And then what? I'm completely new to gauges. And will the tach include instructions and everything you need to wire it up? I'm buying that new, so I figure it'll be a bit easier... I need to know this soon because I'm gona try to throw them in this week...

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
Make sure to get the correct sending units for the gauges AND the correct engine (231 Buick V6 or Chevy V8). The thread diameters are different (don't ask me how I know). I never did factory gauges with the 231V6, but I did do aftermarket ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor